Thread: Gardening

Gardening

I recently decided to start taking my gardening more seriously and thought I would post that it has been very helpful in managing my anxiety. There is quite good evidence that working with soil and out in the sun helps mood, and I've found it to be true.

I'm lucky enough to have a south-facing back garden, not very big, but enough to have a few pots and a chair and table. So I went along to Aldi and got myself a £14.99 plastic greenhouse, took myself to the garden centre and bought a few packets of tomato and pepper seeds. I also had a look on Pinterest for garden themes and found lots of lovely photos to aspire to, so I bought some lavender and rosemary as well. I also asked my Mum for advice, as she's a really brilliant gardener and very knowledgeable.

I try to pop out and have a potter every day and it's been a real source of joy and stability. Here's why I think it's working:

1 - growing something else = not focusing on own worries
    2 - sense of 'this will be here however anxious I am' -> sense of stability
    3 - talking to my Mum = valued social contact with loved ones
    4 - seeing plants develop = better self-esteem for me
    5 - working with soil -> http://www.naturalhealth365.com/reli...lora-1771.html
    6 - working outside = sunshine = Vitamin D, better brain health
    7 - gentle physical exercise = neurogenesis/anti-depressive activity
    8 - showing my partner that I'm doing something around the house -> better relationship
    9 - a pretty garden = somewhere nice to sit and look at
    10 - eventual vegetables -> healthy food to share with friends

Obviously the garden has been dependent on me having some outside space and a bit of money to spend on plants, so it won't be for everybody, but plant seeds are really quite affordable and pots are cheap. In some areas there are community gardens to get involved with too.

Hope this is helpful to some, love to hear if there are any other gardeners here!

Re: Gardening

A lovely post beatroon yes I love growing flowers on our balcony. I've got lots of pots both standing and hooked over the balcony rail as well as terracotta pots on the walls. It's very calming looking after them all, as well as calming to sit amongst them when they're in full bloom.

ISB ☺ x

Re: Gardening

Yes, I do a lot of gardening now. It's really helped with my PTSD. I have a container garden on my patio, a cactus garden, and several plants at the front of our house. I'm glad so see that you've found that you enjoy its stress relief too.

Thread Information