Thread: Will I be able to be safely scanned?

Unhappy Will I be able to be safely scanned?

I got a letter today for an MRI appointment to look for a pituitary tumour.

The letter says to contact them if you're over 21 stone as you might need a different scan. I'm 28 stone!

My consultant said a CT scan won't be accurate enough to check for the tumour.

Am I not going to be able to be scanned at all? I can't speak to them until Monday morning now, so I'm going to spend the weekend panicking over not being able to be scanned.

My scan is at Rugby St Cross part of UHCW (used to be called walsgrave) of that's important?

Re: Will I be able to be safely scanned?

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiety Jim View Post
    I got a letter today for an MRI appointment to look for a pituitary tumour.

The letter says to contact them if you're over 21 stone as you might need a different scan. I'm 28 stone!

My consultant said a CT scan won't be accurate enough to check for the tumour.

Am I not going to be able to be scanned at all? I can't speak to them until Monday morning now, so I'm going to spend the weekend panicking over not being able to be scanned.

My scan is at Rugby St Cross part of UHCW (used to be called walsgrave) of that's important?
    I will do my best to reassure you! I had to have a lump on my leg tobe checked for cancer they were going to put me in the high power MRI scanner, I mentioned I had a stent fitted straight away they said we will put you in a the low power MRI Scanner but it will take twice as long and will be as accurate as the high power scanner so you will just fine If I hadn't mentioned about my stent and gone in the high power one my stent would have got rather hot So you will be ok HTH Cheers

It's just that you may need a different MRI scanner and maybe it will mean going to a hospital that caters for this?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It's just that you may need a different MRI scanner and maybe it will mean going to a hospital that caters for this?
    Yes I think that too Terry the hospital near us has 2 MRI scanners they may have 3 but know they have 2 so think that's what they will do in the OP's case not sure why the high power one cant be used on patients over a certain weight though? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Yes I think that too Terry the hospital near us has 2 MRI scanners they may have 3 but know they have 2 so think that's what they will do in the OP's case not sure why the high power one cant be used on patients over a certain weight though? Cheers
    Not sure, I know they have low power scanners in the NHS that are as effective as the others so it's obviously just to get around a problem that the high power ones could cause in certain patents.

For obese patients (not saying you are obese OP, sorry ) they have other ones. I know there are open sided ones for larger patients too.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Not sure, I know they have low power scanners in the NHS that are as effective as the others so it's obviously just to get around a problem that the high power ones could cause in certain patents.

For obese patients (not saying you are obese OP, sorry ) they have other ones. I know there are open sided ones for larger patients too.
    Yes and Iam sure AJ will be accommodated it may be that the table they lie on wont take above a certain weight, just a thought But my advice for AJ is call the hospital and let them know so they can make alternative arrangements!! Cheers

Thread Information