Thread: Fear of being alone in the dark?

Fear of being alone in the dark?

Hi! I haven't been on this in a while ad I've been trying to learn to deal with my emetophobia but lately, I've been having some issues with being alone in the house, mainly when it's dark!
    I'm 21 and am living with my mum until I finish Uni! It's just the two of us as my dad is in a mental hospital due to Alzheimer's. Mum leaves the house to go to work at 6 10 am and returns at 5 30pm.
    I am pretty much alone all day every day and I am
    terrified of being alone in the dark. I get so scared and panic! I think about every single horror film I have every watched and it really affects me.
    To make things worse I seem to wake up every morning (when I don't have to be in Uni) just after she has left the house and am petrified! I end up lying awake until it's light, which is getting later and later in England at this time of year.
    It's nearly 7am now and it's pitch black and I'm terrified!
    I have 2 big dogs but I am still scared.
    This is getting ridiculous!

Sorry for the long rant - I know this is totally irrational for someone my age xxx

Re: Fear of being alone in the dark?

When I'm alone in the house, the darker and later it gets the more my anxiety worsens. I don't know why really - nothing has ever happened to lead me to worry, and I know logically it's no different to me being alone at home in the day.

I think a lot of things seem worse in the dark - light is comforting. Can you leave a few lights on, and the tv or radio? I'm terrible for jumping at every tiny noise when it's dark - I never watch horror movies cos I know it'll make me worse, but still jump when something creaks!

The only real advice I have is about leaving lights on and background noise. Also, it might reassure you to have your phone near you?

I agree with Lizzie totally. I have been afraid of the dark for as long as I can remember and always leave the landing light on at night. I have also slept with a lamp on in my bedroom and at my worst, have slept downstairs on the sofa. I'm better these days ( i'm over 40!!) but I just cant sleep without a light on.
    I like to be able to hear and get used to all the 'night time noises' so I can't deal with tv or radio in bed. Good luck x

Hi, thanks for your replies! I'm glad to know i'm not the only one.
    I always keep my phone with me and can't have the T.V or Radio on either because I like to be able to hear the house.
    It's horrible. I wish i was the sort of person who would relish the idea of a night alone in the house but I hate it :( xxx

I used to feel this and found that having the radio on always makes me feel more comfortable. it's worth a try.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Im sorry you have suffered with this. I used to have horrific nightmares that used to contribute to my fear of the dark. Im not sure what to suggest but I think not having things on so you can "hear the house better" isnt helping you as youll always hear strange noises if you pay undue attention to anything. Maybe you could try to find instances where the dark is a peacefull thing rather than scary? I know you said you think about horror films when its dark. There are so many other things you could think about, like a moonlit walk with a group of friends stargazing, or what it might be like to be in the glaring sun of the desert all day and how it must feel when night finally comes etc. I hope at least some of that made sense lol.

I love the dark now after always being afraid of it, so it is possible.

Thread Information