Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stomach Palpitation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stomach Palpitation

I have got something which I am sure is probably nothing but when you get a couple of things toegther you start putting them together and worry.

This other thing is a palpitation or single twitch just below my stomach in the middle of my body just below where your ribs part. Probably about 4 inches directly above my belly button.

Any ideas? I know you've got a pulse in your stomach which I can somtimes see but never worried about as I am sure it's normal to see it when your heart is going a little faster than usual. But recently I read something and it made me worry about anyerisms and all sorts.

Am I stressing over nothing?

Re: Stomach Palpitation

Hi Precious

I gets these palpitations in my stomach quite often usually when I have been working quite hard sometimes I get the odd one which makes me feel like my stomach has flipped over. I have been getting these for quite some time and nothing bad has happened to me so try not to worry too much.

Carol

For the record my health anxiety is directly related to the idea I have an aortic aneurysm, which I'd like to say is very rare in someone under 60.

Could I ask what specifically you read that worried you, perhaps we can put your mind at rest?

The aorta splits into the iliac arteries which feed your legs a little above your bellybutton, its often the place you'll feel the pulse in your abdomen when you can. If you're lying down you'll usually notice it more.

If it was just a single twitch as your described it's unlikely to have been your aorta. When lying down your stomach can curve down towards that area, in addition there are all sorts of muscles covering your abdomen as well as your intestines, any one of which could have spasmed.

You're probably worried about nothing, yet if it is something that is going to continually worry you and prey on your mind then go to see your GP and let him her reassure you.

Chris

I think it was someone who had had the feeling of the twitching in the area of the stomach and was worried about an anyerism that worried me. It hadn't even crossed my mind before. Then when it happened the other day it came back to my mind. In the past couple of days it has happened about 10 times in the day that I have noticed. It's a single twitch every time it happenes. And I tried to tell myself it was just muscular, but it happened in the same place every time.

Are there basic tests they would do for this that would confirm it wasn't that? Like listening to your stomach etc?

I'll answer your question first; a gp can listen with a stethoscope and often hear a difference in the flow, they can feel your abdomen and see if they can feel a pulsating lump but that's only really an option if it was large of if you're really thin. The easiest test is an ultrasound and if when you see your GP he feels that sending for you for one might settle your mind he will do so.

Now I've said all that and you're probably worrying, the fact is though that a twitch now and then is almost certainly muscular or your stomach/bowels and nothing more. Mine often spasms and I've learnt to live with this. I can't see any reason an aneurysm would be spasming now and then, that would make no real sense.

As I said go see your GP and have a chat about your concerns and I'm sure he can do a better job of explaining things and putting your mind to rest than I can.

I get the stomach pulse when my anxiety is high, my Doc. noticed it during a routine exam and sent me for an ultrasound , the result came back normal.
    Decca.

Thanks for your advice cococj How deep would it be felt if it was bad? Would it be felt deep or nearer the surface?

I'm sure you're right but it's annoying and everytime it happens it starts me thinking again.

I was scared stiff when my Doc. thought I may have had an abdominal aneurysm,she felt my stomach and listened with her stephoscope and told me she thought it best to have an ultrasound done but she was sure it would come back normal.
    It took about 1 week to get the appointment from the X-ray department, I went along nervous as heck, I lay on the table the technician squirted the gel on my stomach ran the handset over my stomach and said that the diameter of my aorta was well within normal parameters.
    Strangely I haven't any symptoms since.

Decca.

Sorry for joining on to this thread but as it's recently active I didn't see the point in starting a new one.

I became aware of a stomach pulse and after googling I'm worried. I've tried to be rational but just can't get the worry out my head.

Two weeks ago I was lying on the couch reading a book with the marker lying on my stomach. I then became aware of the marker fluttering. Then when i liften my top I noticed my stomach pulsing steadily. I wish I'd left it there but being anxious I googled and found all my worst fears- aneurysm, excrutiating pain, fatal, etc. I'm a smoker and don't exercise enough as I'm virtually housebound plus I've had back pain lately so it all fell into place.

I find some reassurance in the post by Chris as I am 36 years old. I'm also slightly underweight which might also be a reason. This pulse is not something I feel- if I hadn't saw it visually I'd be unaware. It's not there when I'm standing or sitting, only when I lie down. I don't know how long it's been there.

My big problem is that I can't go to the doctors and I am very reluctant to ask the doctor to make a house call. Besides he'd probably refer me elsewhere and I cannot go. Does anyone know if the stomach pulse while lying down is a common thing?

Thanks

Yes I think it's very common specially with anxiety sufferers that are on the slim side.

Decca.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information