Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head and face pressure and blood pressure

head and face pressure and blood pressure

Hi I have got the horrible face and head pressure back again. Its squeezing nad tightening in my forehead and my face. It is so uncomfortable. Even my teeth feel weird with it.
    My big phobia is of having my blood pressure taken. I am absolutey scared stiff. I went to the nurse today to sit with it on my arm to practice having it taken and then I agreed to have it done. Well it was high. She said I was brave to have it done but thinks it could be anxiety doing it. I have to go back next week but I know I will never get a low reading as I am a nervous wreck. I dont know what to do. She agreed I couldnt wear a 24 hour monitor at home as I would be beside myself and would rip it off. I also live alone so cant get a home one. That would be terrible. So I dont know what to do. I am very health concious and the nurse actually said there is no point giving me life style advice because I do it all. I am a very healthy eater, I dont drink or smoke and exercise every day if I can on my airwalker. I did have my blood taken just before having my bp taken so dont know if that affected me as well. I was ok with that. The nurse said she has never seen anyone so nervous about Blood pressure. I am scared of havng to take medication and the side effects. That is the fear.
    I was on diazepam for 36 years and came off three years ago and get very agitated now and have nothing to take to help me.
    Any ideas what I can do.
    What actually causes the face and head pressure. What is it.
    Thanks Angiex

Re: head and face pressure and blood pressure

Are you sure it isn't sinus pain?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi I honestly dont know. It could be. It comes and goes during the day. It gets worse when I think about it. Angiex

I get pressure in my forehead and head when Im anxious, that sometimes i think might be sinus pressure but I have been told it's tension.

Your bp will be high if you are anxious too.

Does anyone know exactly what the head pressure is. Is it the muscles going into spasms. Angiex

I get head pressure alot myself and everytime I go to get it checked they tell me it is allergies...ughh! But I have come to the conclusion it is more than likely anxiety....tension that causes the pressure because it comes and goes so easily it seems. I too am scared of takin meds due to side effects and constantly suffer from anxiety and panic and it is drivin me crazy!

It sounds like your classic tension headache

Quote Originally Posted by nickieb View Post
    It sounds like your classic tension headache
    i think i had it yesterday
    and felt like i had a huge hat on all day long - heavy and foggy as well
    hope it will be better today

The head pressure I sometimes have is mostly just a tense head. Not necessarily even a headache, it's just the face and head muscles are tensed up for so long it causes this feeling. Though a headache will usually turn up as a result too.

As for the blood pressure. It's highly likely it will be high in the surgery as you are so worked up about it.

This is something you need to get over and maybe need to see a therapist if you really have a phobia about it. However I can assure you there is no harm in having your blood pressure checked and even if it is high you can have something done about it.

I had a 24 hour monitor and it was no hassle. In fact the regularity of it pumping up made it easier to cope with as you start to forget about it.

Alternatively, I'd suggest getting or borrowing if you can a home monitor that you can use when you like, when you feel you're up to it.

I would bet the readings at home will be a lot lower, and most doctors know this too (see White Coat Syndrome). If the reading at the surgery was only a little high, then probably it's normal at home.

I got my home monitor as I was concerned about high blood pressure due to all my tension, but turns out it's actually perfectly normal. Anxiety isn't causing high blood pressure.

for me the moment i was checking BP since i got monitor it was getting high.
    I was addicted to checking it all the time, and it made me more anxious every time.

I gave it away after 1 year

dont regret it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information