Thread: Oral Cancer? Papilloma? Dying?

Question Oral Cancer? Papilloma? Dying?

Hi everyone,

I'm a 19 year old girl, and ever since I turned 15, I've had some wicked health anxiety. I've had every cancer under the sun and every terminal illness according to my brain. I'm here now because I am absolutely convinced that I've contracted HPV, and that I've gotten oral cancer. I did get vaccinated with Gardisil, but it was a 3 course shot and I only got 2 because I saw that it was giving alot of young women irreversible health defects, and I was terrified. I know HPV is common and most of the time doesn't cause anything adverse. Most of the time. Yesterday, I had finished eating dinner, and it felt like something was stuck between my tongue and my right cheek. No big deal right? I'm trying to swallow it and wash it down with water, but it's not going away So I go to the bathroom, turn on my flashlight, look in my mouth, and what do I see? A clear fleshy bump on my patagolossal (spelling?) arch. I didn't even know what that was until yesterday! Naturally, I start freaking the hell out because where did this bump come from? It doesn't hurt. It's not hard. It was pretty small, but why is it in my mouth and how can I get rid of it? I turned to my not-so-trusty friend Dr. Google and what did he say? Mouth cancer. Cancer of the tonsils. Girl you gon' die. I've never smoked a day in my life, and I don't plan to. That gave me a little relief, then I came upon mouth cancer from HPV and that's what threw me over the edge. I'm in a monogamous relationship, and it's been almost 2 years. We're both virgins, but we have pleased eachother orally a few times. I know. I'm young. Sorry for the TMI. I keep torturing myself by looking up what this god awful bump could be, and all the results were mouth cancer. I also saw a white patch on my gum near a wisdom tooth so I'm all messed up with this cancer fear. So here I am. A 19 year old, non smoker, who engaged in a few oral acts with my boyfriend, dying from mouth cancer. I think this is scaring me so much because a family member had tongue and throat cancer that was found too late, and I don't want that to be me. Does this sound like cancer? Or something that will go away in about a weeks time? I fully intend to call a doctor, but for the time being, I'd like some insight just in case anyone else has ever had this. Thanks
    Last edited by Hypochondriac98; 04-06-17 at 14:58.

Re: Oral Cancer? Papilloma? Dying?

Researchers believe it takes anywhere from 10-30 years before HPV forms a malignant tumor. You're young, you're healthy, and you're fine, IMO.

I'm a Stage IV oral cancer survivor. Mine was HPV positive. What you describe combined with your age is not it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I freaked myself out last year because I had bumps all over the back of my palette, where my tonsils are. I went to the ENT doctor who said it was normal glands and nothing sinister, some people just have more than others. I forget what he called them but there's a name. They look like little fleshy or pink clear bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm a Stage IV oral cancer survivor. Mine was HPV positive. What you describe combined with your age is not it.

Positive thoughts
    I'm so sorry I always feel really bad when I go on these tangents, and I get answers like this. I just freak myself out, and in the moment, it's hard to snap out of it. I'm working on it though.. I'm so glad you were fortunate enough to survive the ordeal. It sounds quite frightening. May I ask what your symptoms were?
    ---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdid2000 View Post
    I freaked myself out last year because I had bumps all over the back of my palette, where my tonsils are. I went to the ENT doctor who said it was normal glands and nothing sinister, some people just have more than others. I forget what he called them but there's a name. They look like little fleshy or pink clear bumps.
    If you ever remember the name, let me know! The bump I had was clear and fleshy, so I'm curious.
    Last edited by Hypochondriac98; 05-06-17 at 03:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypochondriac98 View Post
    may I ask what your symptoms were?
    You may but I'm not going to feed your dragon. Suffice it to say my previous answer stands.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You may but I'm not going to feed your dragon. Suffice it to say my previous answer stands.

Positive thoughts
    Fair enough. I'm in a better head space now than I was earlier when I made this post. But I suppose if you told me, I'd take it and run with it later on. Thanks.

Well. The bump in question went down about a day and a half after I posted this, so I calmed down. Now I have a flesh colored one on my left tonsil I highly doubt it's been there all this time so I am starting to get a little spooked. It doesn't hurt. It's just there, my throat is a little scratchy, and my brain is like "oral cancer". I can't catch a break! Does anyone else get random flesh colored bumps ? I don't understand whats going on

Thread Information