Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi new here, just started meds and am scared

hi new here, just started meds and am scared

Hi, I'm 47, been living alone and isolated for 6 years after my ex walked out (after 20 yrs). So last June I hit rockbottom and admited I needed help. Its taken until last month toget some help on NHS and all they've done is given me quetiapine and fluoexdine no talking therapy or anything......

I am scared and confused and I dont like these pills they make me feel drunk (I dont drink)

any ideas outthere?

thanks for listening.....

Hi pennycovuk

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: hi new here, just started meds and am scared

hi pennycovuk &
    Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. Have you asked your GP to be referred to Psychology services....or thought about counselling? Not sure what your main issues are but this might be a good start. Meds aren't always the answer and the side effects can be a real pain
    Anyway, you will get lots of help & support here, there are some lovely people ready to offer advice.
    Good luck. Kitti

Hi there and a big, warm

I know you'll find lots of people here who share your experiences and that you'll also be able to give a lot to others.

Take care and keep posting

Pip xx

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks for the replies, it's lovely to know people care. for me, I have been so totally alone for so long that joining a group where I may be able to offer others a listening ear too will be good.

I have asked for counselling and am waiting for an appointment through IAPT

Hey penny.

Sorry to hear of your pain. This place will turn you around! The people are so helpful and encouraging and you are getting advice first hand from people who have been there or are still there working through issues with many different therapies.
    I have tried talk therapy many times and haven't found it anywhere near as helpful as this forum. I find it easier to trust those who actually know what they're talking about.
    I have just started fluoxetine (Prozac) only an hour ago! I am scared but hopeful. I have also tried every other method you could imagine and ended up back trying the medication. So hopefully that can give you some encouragement to give them a go.

Kel x

Thanks Kel. I hope the Fluoxetine work for you - I seem ok on them, its the quetiapine I don't like....

hopefully this cloud that hangs over me will lift a little soon

Hi and welcome,

Quetiapine is a serious medication and normally only prescribed by a psychiatrist, although some GPs have enough knowledge to handle it. It would have been perscribed for some serious symptoms you were having and if you still have those symptoms it may be best you persevere with it for now.

I hope all goes well for you.

Thanks Penny.
    Maybe Julianne is right? Do you know why you were prescribed the Quetiapine? If it's a serious medication and you're just wanting to treat depression etc maybe you should just be taking the Prozac alone? I would definately be questioning mr Dr about this......I question my Dr about everything! I think i drive her mad!

Kel x

Thanks both. Basically, I had a melt down in my GP's office and he called the local NHS crisis team in. the psychiatrist from that team gave me quetiapine, 150mg at night and 2 25mg to take PRN. the team came to my house twice a week for 3 weeks, then said I was "out of crisis" and referred me back to my GP. My poor GP has heard nothing from them so has prescribed the same meds for just one week based on me showing him my pill boxes. Neither of us has a clue what the future plan is, so I am left with 3 days of meds left now, can't get hold of the crisis team, no GP appointment...................sorry I am babbling now can't type through these tears.

I will come back later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information