Thread: Restless Leg Syndrome

Question Restless Leg Syndrome

Hi guys

I suffer from RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and I was wondering if it was linked to anxiety or anxiety medications. I've tried looking it up on the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information on it.

I have trouble sleeping at night almost every single night unless I knock myself out with alcohol (I'm aware that it's a vicious circle, that it's harder to sleep without alcohol in the end). My head is always sputtering rubbish like 'my bike won't reach the doorbell' or 'that centipede won't fit in my trolley' and it drives me mad where I get this crap from I have NO idea.

Unfortunately I suffer from several 'sleep hang-ups' as I call them... I must lie on my side on a pillow that doesn't make a crinkly noise, my feet must be warm else I can't drift off, if I make the monumental mistake of thinking about my eyeballs when my eyes are shut I end up straining the life out of them to stop them rolling up in my head when my lids are closed. I pee just before bed but lie awake waiting to need a pee again... there are more but the main problem is my RLS. I can stay awake all day to make myself tired, I can make a hot drink, I can get off the pc early and read a book or just close my eyes, I can do a few things to help me get tired, but I cannot avoid RLS.

I've always suffered but it would be something like once a week for a short time. Now it's every single night, guaranteed. It used to happen only at a certain time of the evening, but now it's when I'm sitting or lying still, even in the car or in front of the tv. I do exercise in the day because I'm trying to lose weight but there are times when I'm not able to do much and I know I'm in for another night where I'm awake til 8 or 9 am... Once I had an infection and I took some Night Nurse tablets and my entire body was restless for the whole night so I'm afraid of taking sleeping tablets... does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any tips? I've looked up treatment for RLS and it appears there is a drug but it's only for those who cannot move, as movement eases the RLS... problem being that in bed you're trying NOT to move!

Ok I'm rambling again... any comments would be welcome, thanks.

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

If you drink ever night , take b vitamin supplements.
    You could get stuck in a cycle of needing the alcohol to sleep but you still may not be getting the right kind of sleep.

I wonder if I have rls too but the symptoms are so vague , every night my legs ache along with the urge to stretch them out, I've had this since I was a child , I also have flat feet which causes my legs to ache too so could just be that.
    On a bad night it does keep me awake but only every now and again.

I too get the weird thoughts whole trying to sleep , I think it's normal enough well I hope so !! I get thoughts that make no sense or I half start dreaming while some what awake .

Aw sorry to here your eyes get sore, I can see how doing that would stop you from sleeping, I think you just focus on it way too much to the point it's freaking you out.

I'm the worst for feeling like I need to pee at night, I've sorta learned to ignore it a bit.

What symptoms of RLS do you get?
    I'm in bed, ache legs, feels like they need a good massage or a stretch .
    Im sorry I've no idea of what may help :(
    maybe herbal sleep aids ?

Sorry that I haven't visited in a while but I appreciate the response to my post.

RLS feels like you must move your leg or you'll go crazy. If you try to ignore it, the feeling gets stronger and stronger until you positively HAVE to stretch your leg muscles to relieve it. The second you finish stretching, the feeling builds back up again. It's not a pain, it's not an ache. It's as though someone is flicking a rubber band against your nerves until you snap. It's that feeling you get when you watch surgery on a knee joint on tv and you grab your own knees and feel slightly sick and protective... sometimes it's a small irritation, other times your entire night is ruined. Sometimes you can do a few stretches and it goes away, other times you find yourself stomping back and forth in the lounge, crying and smacking your legs...

I have been a bit better lately so I'll see how it goes before I jump onto any more pills.

Oh I get what you mean now, I get that a tiny bit like when my legs feel stiff and in need of a good stretch but nothing enough to keep me awake ,
    Theres about 13 pages here of comments on natural remedies for RLS : )
    http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=319

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...108#post864108

Heres another thread about it ..Sue

my neighbopur suffers with restless legs syndrome and has to avoid all alcohol as it apparently makes it much worse!

Thread Information