Thread: citalopram dose increased

citalopram dose increased

HI,

I've been taking citalopram for 5 months now and when i started on it i had some horrible side effects, especially affecting my stomach. I have IBS and it made things a lot worse for the first two weeks. I was told to start with 10mg for the first 2 weeks and then increase to 20mg but with the side effects i told my GP that i was worried about it making things worse so she said just to stick with the 10mg. I have been seeing a CPN for the last 2 months and when i saw her last week she said that she thought i should go up to the 20mg and that as i had been on it for a few months i should'nt have any bother. I have been taking the 20mg for the last 4 days and i really think i am having side effects again, feeling very tired, headaches, dry mouth, queasy stomach and an increased feeling of anxiety.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen.

Thanks for any replies.

Tracey.

hi Tracey,

I was on Cipralex, which is the newer version of Citalopram. I had some nasty side-effects at first as well. Each time you increase the dosage, you will suffer from side-effects but chances are that if they went away after you had been on 10mg for a while, they will also go away after being on 20mg for a while..

Sarah

Re: citalopram dose increased

hello, i have had the same thing, i had effects with 10 mg and have gone up to 20 mg today will i get more side effects, or is it different for every one, or will side effects pass quicker than last time, can any one tell me ?

hig hugs to all you lot today
    xxxx

u should be ok cus 20mg is still not huge dosage dont worry xx am on 10mg and the tablets has halved me pannicks

I also suffer from IBS and these made me really bad in the first couple of weeks and I only took 10mgs but found when I went to 20mgs as thats what I was prescribed it didn't affect me too bad.
    Stick with them and your tummy will settle down, but I do find I am getting more IBS during hormone times now I am on Citalopram, not sure if thats anything to do with it, have posted something myself on hormones and IBS.

x

I went straight onto 20mg and the only side effect i had was tiredness. I literally couldnt keep my eyes open esp in work. I had two weeks off and started feeling back to my normal self again.

Its nearly 3 months on now and the depresion and anxiety is coming back again. I am probably due for an increase dose but 1) I dont want to go through the tiredness again and 2) I dont want to keep increasing the dose every few months.

Has anyone tried anything which lasts a bit longer?

Cheers,
    Kyle

Thread Information