Thread: Forgotten how to breath

Forgotten how to breath

I am a long time HA sufferer who is currently freaking out about lung cancer. I am a runner and I cover about 20 miles per week. My runs seem fine and I don’t seem to be having any troubles during the run. BUT, I feel short of breath when I walk up a flight of stairs. I know this is anxiety, I really do, but part of my brain is screaming that I need to go to the dr. It is like I have forgotten how to breath and I need to force myself to do it. Anyone else have something like this?[/font]

Re: Forgotten how to breath

Don't have it now, but I've had it before. What happens is when you run that long distance it forces you to breathe normally. When I had this (I think its called hyperventilation syndrome), the ONLY time I felt normal was when I was doing long distance aerobic exercise. Short flights of steps or even walking across the room I couldn't do without either gasping for breath or constantly yawning. Once i came to terms with hyperventilation, I started breathing normally again.

THat said, I struggle with the fear of receiving a lung cancer diagnosis all the time so I can relate to your fears. I did everything I could to try to eliminate my symptoms - deep breathing exercises (this made it so much worse for me), yoga, massage. The only thing that helped was getting a chest XRay and ruling it out.

I'm fixated on lung cancer, and its been a couple of years almost since my last x-ray, so I'm back on it again. Its an awful thing to worry about. You have my sympathy -- don't be like me and wait in agony to go see a doctor.

hello
    I had this only last night. I had just played netball for a hour and play centre so very active position. I was fine all way through the game. But when got into bed was so tired felt very strange and 'suddenly' noticed my breathing. felt like wasn't breathing enough then started to panic. I get this quite alot and really freaks me out. I do try to do breathing exercises and calms me down.
    U r not alone! xxx

Thanks I needed some rational thinking to break up my crazy thoughts.

Thread Information