Thread: Any hope of one to one counseling NHS help?

Any hope of one to one counseling NHS help?

The NHS has really not been of much use to me with this problem. Other than offering tablets (really did not work well with my brain - awful time on the tablets) there has been nothing of a 'speaking therapy' provided. The only NHS scheme in my area is group therapy sessions which would be an utter waste of time for someone shy like me! I would just be sitting there listening to everyone else! So basically my doctor has said there is nothing they can do. If I will not take the tablets I must pay privately. Work has given me 6 counseling sessions which were brilliant but they were no where near enough!

My Occy Health doctor is referring me to a colleague of hers who is a psychiatrist in the hope that as he works in the NHS mental health environment, he may know more about where to refer me on - or even if it exists.

I have to wait a month before I can see this psychiatrist but I was wondering is there any hope of getting to see NHS counseling one to one? Or should I just keep saving the money to pay the £30 an hour the private counsellors charge?

Re: Any hope of one to one counseling NHS help?

In my area the GP can refer you to "talking therapies service" and they offer you 6-8 sessions of one to one counselling. Your GP should be able to do this for you. Failing that contact your local MIND they do CBT and one to one counselling again the referral should come from the GP and in case the GPs arent aware of it you could always contact MIND ask them and they should be able to provide you with a referral form which you can take to your GP to fill in. Good luck.

I was referred by my GP to IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) and initially funded for 6 one to one sessions with a brilliant High Intensity Therapist. She increased this to 12 sessions and then 24. I found it really helpful. You are so right, 6 sessions is not enough!

Here is the link http://www.iapt.nhs.uk/iapt/ I would ask your GP if you can be referred to them as soon as possible. You may have to wait, it depends on your area. I waited around 6 weeks which is not bad really. I think it's a bit of a postcode lottery and depends on the funding in your area for MH services.

Good luck and I wish you well. Kitti

I have been asking my doctor for more professional help for quite a while, they have an onsite therapist, but even im better than her, so recently referred to a Psychiatrist and she has sorted CBT out straight away at our first meeting, not having it yet, cos there is a waiting list, but in my area thats the easiest way of getting help.

Thread Information