Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for bedtime? What do you do?

Tips for bedtime? What do you do?

As I battle my anxiety over an upcoming colonoscopy I find I even get worried about how I am going to sleep.

Always been a light sleeper and now if I get up to go to the washroom or let the dog out... I seem more susceptible to anxiety and panic when groggy.

I drink caffeine free tea now including "Sleepy Time" but if I feel too awake, I end up taking Gravol or Nytol which I would prefer not to do.

How do you folk deal with this? Any tips?

Thanks!

Re: Tips for bedtime? What do you do?

I usually have a drink of Chamomile and a piece of toast so I don't get a sugar spike in the early hours. Keep it bland, nothing heavy or spicy. No alcohol.

I've also invested in some wireless headphones and a white noise app because OH snores like a warthog. The other night I was listening to a dryer. Last night it was a fan. I do find it helpful.

Try not to watch anything stimulating before bed. So no horror, action movies, thrillers etc. Aim for lighthearted or boring.

If noise is a problem, invest in a set of earplugs.

Don't use any electronics an hour before you want to go to bed because they emit a blue light that interferes with melatonin meaning you will find it hard to drop off to sleep because your brain is confused and thinks it's wide awake.

Most important, don't worry about if you'll sleep or not. If you are lying there feeling anxious, practice abdominal breathing or do some distraction exercises like counting backwards from 300.

These things are beginning to pay off for me as I had a decent nights sleep last night.

Hope some of this helps you.

That does help. Thanks for your suggestions Nora. I hear a lot about chamomile tea but apparently not good if you have ragweed allergies which I do. I am guilty of using electronics as I tend to play a game on the tablet to try and relax. Had no idea about that blue light issue.

Trying St. John's Wort now too.

Much appreciated!

If its not okay to say use a kindle before sleep time, is it okay to read a paperback book as I find that helps me to nod off sometimes.

I've had a really bad broken sleep pattern recently, which is a shame as apart from that I have felt better and my mood has been better. ive had a bit more mania and I think its this over working mind that is possibly causing bad sleep

I've been told by GP to take Diazepam 2mg for very short period to try and help

I find exercise helps to get me tired but doesn't seem to help me sleep.

I still find that if i've exercised my mind is still racing away with thoughts that mean I end up with broken sleep. i do sleep but my sleep is broken up into 2/3/4 sessions of short sleep each night and I wake tired for work, the day ahead

I just found that listening to music doesn't help me to sleep but makes me awake all night
    So I read comic or short story instead, well I have to say, it's better than listening to music. And I try not to think too much at night (it just makes you lose your sleep)
    Inhaling essential oil (like lavender oil...) is not a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Jull View Post
    I just found that listening to music doesn't help me to sleep but makes me awake all night
    So I read comic or short story instead, well I have to say, it's better than listening to music. And I try not to think too much at night (it just makes you lose your sleep)
    Inhaling essential oil (like lavender oil...) is not a bad idea
    I put a few drops of lavender essential oil on a kleenex and put the kleenex in my pillowcase or under my pillow. Doesn't always work, but smells nice!
    Also, I listen to a guided meditation by Belleruth Naparstek or sometimes my spouse is the most patient person ever and will read outloud to me. (usually he's reading something I have no interest in so I fall asleep)

I have a hard time staying asleep lately though...

Having a bath with essential oils is a help
    Especially if you go to bed afterwards within 30-40 minutes
    Bodys natural cooling off helps promote sleep

Regular Exercise.

Completely letting go of everything mentally, and calming my mind down before nodding off.

Takes practise, but I have it down to a fine art.

An incredibly vigorous lusty sex session marathon. Preferably with somebody else there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information