Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can chocolate cause palpitations?

can chocolate cause palpitations?

Hi
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that sugar can cause palpitations/ectopic beats. Now whenever I eat chocolate (however small an amount) I'm getting palps/ectopics (not sure which, but feels like fluttering and very strong beat). Is it the chocolate causing this or me causing it, thinking I'll have a palpatation and so I do? The feeling lasts 15 - 20 mins after eating choc.
    Thanks

Chocolate has a certain amount of caffein, so if you're sensitive to caffein, maybe that's what it is?

Florence.

*** Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.***

Yup totally possible either through sugar, caffiene or just sensitive to it right now.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

hi
    i get eptopics and choc dose set mine of but a lot of it i think is that when you have had an eptopic when you havebeen eating choc you get it into your haed that you will every time a lot of it is mind over matter well i think it is for me .
    i get them just talking about them most of the time they are nasty and set of a lot of anxiety

jo xx

Thanks for your replies - guess its time to cut back and see what happens
    Helen

Def... get Palps after Choc and food but only when I am anxious.... hat egoing out for a meal because I know heart rate will fly up....just no one knows do they what we have to put up with !

hi i had one with it last week! scared me into not having any but i tried it few days later and was fine xx

apriltones

Re: can chocolate cause palpitations?

Strangely enough I have experienced palps lately and the last time was quite a few years ago, when it ws so bad I had the 2 hour monitor strapped to me and the result was clear no problem found, you have made me wonder if the chocolate I have stuffed over the last few weeks may be causing this ! agnes

Hi,
    I would say definately. I was getting dreadful palps even when I didnt feel anxious and Im affraid I was a chocoholic! I gave up chocolate last January and although Im not completely palp free they're almost gone. I get the odd episode but tell them to get lost now! I do think not eating chocolate has helped greatly. I read that white chocolate does not contain caffeine as its has no cocoa solids in it, which contain the caffeine. Ive not tried the white chocolate as Im scared if I do I will imagine myself into palps!!!
    Coffee, tea and some fizzy drinks can also contain alot of caffeine but dont drink these either...Im a very good caffeine free girl these days!!!
    Take care,
    Carol x

I think there are additives in some chocolate which don't help either. If I eat too much cheap chocolate like Cadburys I get a funny head rush.

It has never happened with better quality chocolate, which is great news because now it means I know I can only eat the good stuff. Lindt, drool ...

White chocolate is fine, no caffeine - probably best to stay away from dark though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information