Thread: Finding support

Finding support

Just something I've thought of.

Often churches, hospitals, surgeries and charities have counsellors that will help people free of charge. I've sen a few in the past and they've often been very helpful. It's a case of looking for what's available in your area such as on surgery noticeboards, asking the doctor, looking up charities such as MIND or the local hospital.

Charities sometimes also run befriending schemes so that a befriender can visit or take you out. There are also voluntary care groups that are being created around the country who also have different services that can help.

It's only a thought as I know how expensive private counsellors are and how hard it is to find the help we need.

Re: Finding support

Hey Bill

I was referred to MIND and am waiting for a counsellor at the moment. The man I saw for my assessment was really nice, I am hoping my counsellor will be someone I can get on well with so that I get the most out of the sessions.

xx

Hi there,
    That's Great news!

In my area MIND also runs an anxiety management group who have volunteer drivers to take other sufferers to the group and also has befrienders who will visit and take people out.

I've found there are various sources of help depending on the area a person lives in but often there is help to be obtained without having to wait long periods.

Hope it works out well for you.

I also recently discovered that in my area they do short stress management courses which are open to anyone and are free, it is worth asking at your Doctors I guess whether there is anything like that near you.
    Trouble is it was only six weeks and then it was up, feel like I need six months worth,lol

I know....I've always thought that terrible. I'd see a counsellor for 6 sessions and then they expect you to be cured. but you're right, there's allsorts of different things available if you look in the right places.

At least you get much more support than just 6 sessions on here!

Hi all - I was scheduled for 6 sessions (the max they're allowed to give apparantly) by the ADS (Alcohol and Drug Service).

Both my Doc and my counsellor on the first session went over the top and recomended immediate detox to the top guy responsible for my area.

I've had my triage (sounds scarier than it is, but its a Q & A session) and they agreed I need to be an inpatient.

Apart from that the CAB are battling on my side, and now I've given the NHS third party authority (a simple form you have to fill in and sign) and as suh I now stand a bettter chance of getting more that than the £27 they've allowed in the last 8 weeks.

With both of them exerting pressure and myself, I may just have more than Bunard Mathews turkey slices comes Christmas day.

Do not be scared to ask for help - the system seems (apparantly) to deny us what we are due. Beside MIND there are many other organisations out there that can help.

Bottome line is, don't wait for help to find you, actively go out and persue it. Whether that be outdoors of via the internet theres many organisations that both recognise our predicament, and are willing to fight on our behalf.

Don't be a bystander. Take the bull by the horns and get the help you need.

Krakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I know....I've always thought that terrible. I'd see a counsellor for 6 sessions and then they expect you to be cured. but you're right, there's allsorts of different things available if you look in the right places.

At least you get much more support than just 6 sessions on here!

I quite agree with you Krakers that people have to be proactive to get the help they need.

Doctors can refer but they're not always aware of what other voluntary services are available in their area. Looking for "private" help isn't the only other option. There are always other "free" options surfacing.

I've just remembered SANE, CRUSE and RELATE, and even the Salvation Army. These charities provide support such as counsellors etc.

theres many organisations that both recognise our predicament, and are willing to fight on our behalf- Some charities also provide Advocacy Workers to fight for things a sufferer needs.

It's a case of looking around. Also though I've found it often pays to "push" for help and as you say Krakers, not just be a bystander waiting for things to happen.

Thread Information