Thread: can't check!

can't check!

hi,

it seems health anxiety related to cancer is a huge fear for lots and lots of people - me too! ever since my grandfather died of cancer when i was 12 i've been terrified of dying young. i'm 26 now, and last year got told i had cervical precancer that has now been treated. i'm now completly terrified of cancer.

i want to be responsible but can't check my breasts in case i find something. does anyone else have the same problem? i know i should, but i can't. how do you get over it?

love jess xxx

Re: can't check!

I can relate to this, mother had breast cancer and I am scared to check, I know I should but don't know how I would cope if I found something. My daughter is the opposite and can't stop checking making herself sore. I can't offer much advice but wanted to let you know you are not alone.
    Take care
    Lesleyb

Re: can't check!

hi,

my biggest fear too is cancer. 2 years ago i was convinced i had breast cancer. this all stemmed from all of a sudden getting alot of breast ache and tenderness. i was convinced of the worst and checked my boobs everyday. this then made them hurt more which made me check more. it was a complete vicious circle.

i am now finally down to checking them once a month but its took me all this while, alot of support from the wonderful people on here, my family and friends to get this far.
    i now no it is better for me just to check once a month and if anything is found to go to my gp asap.

please please please check yourself. i know its everyones worse fear to find something out of the ordinary but its better to find things earlier rather then later, and please remember most breast issues are perfectly harmless.

wishing u well
    pen xxx

Thread Information