Thread: Tongue still burning

Tongue still burning

Hey everyone

a few weeks ago just before xmas I started to have a real bad taste in my mouth since then its progressed into a burning sensation sometimes on the tip and then sometimes on the back of my tongue and sometimes generaly all over. Iv'e seen 3 doctors about this and a nurse none of them gave me any answers. I read that a bad taste and a burning sensation can be thrush ? I dont have any white patches on my tongue but it feels as though its burning and looking alot pailer than usual. The doctor gave me some corsodyl but after reading the side effects I didn't take any :/. so I went to the chemist and asked him about my symptoms he suggested Daktarin I havent tried any yet. Im not to sure what to do ive had a blood test done which came back negative just before xmas. Its hurting really bad and im convinced I havent made it up in my head ive never had anything this bad before and was suffering with a low mood before the bad taste come on. Im just wondering has anyone had anything like this ??

Thanks

Re: Tongue still burning

Hi

I had this problem a couple of year ago, it was awful it felt like my tounge was on fire. to be honest im not really sure what caused it , i had been told at the time that a vitamin b12 difichency can cause it but if you have had blood tests then it cant be the cause, my blood test came back ok too.

I also found out that using mouth wash and toothpaste made the problem worse so i started to use a little bit of bacarbinate of soda to clean my teeth and also cleaned my tongue daily with a scrub of the toothbrush, a few days later after using this method the symptom went.
    And touch wood had no problem since.

Hope that helps because i can really understand how you feel it was a awful experiance.

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

Heya! i suffer from burning tongue / mouth syndrome. For the past year my left side of my tongue burns nearly everyday. It drives me mad & the only relief i get is ice cold things. Mine started just after i found a lump in my boob & has never gone, as you can imagine stress & anxiety were sky high when that happened so im not sure if its related. i just had a full blood count & other bloods for pregnancy & they came back fine so im sure its notghing bad. My dr said its a symptom that stumps doctors as theres no cure or is it ever been found to be a sign of anything bad so its harmless. I would never advise googling but if you do search on BMS its very common & harmlesss xx

Thanks for your reply's !

I find that using toothpaste and mouthwash irritates it alot :( really deppressing me as I seem to focus on it all day. I tried scrubbing my tongue with a cleaner seemed to make it worse :/ but I think I was scrubbing to hard, my girlfriend says I should just leave it alone that sticking it out all day in the mirror and checking it gargling salt water etc isnt going to help at all. I know it sounds awful but its nice to know im not the only one with this, my wisdom teeth are coming through aswell I read this could be a symptom aswell and im just generaly run down at the moment with uni and this can't seem to relax at all or belive its nothing serious :(

Yes if you keep scrubbing with toothpaste it will make it worse.

Just try for a few days without toothpaste and try a little bacarbinate like i said and see if it helps.

Andrea
    xxx

I have this and I can't stop thinkin about it, it's making me so depressed

I too had this on and off for a month. I was in tears several time with the pain of it. I went to the doctoe who couldn't provide me with an answer. I went to my dentist and asked him to do a oral check up and again everything was fine.

Then I started CBT, within two weeks the burning dissapeared and hasnt come back. My therapist saod its a sign of anxiety and also in the pyschology world it can signal the need to get something to get something off your chest!!

I also found mouthwash and toothpaste irritated it more. Bicarbonate of soda and warm water did help for a few days but CBT was what worked in the long run. Best of luck.

Thread Information