Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram & Alcohol...

Question Citalopram & Alcohol...

Hi,ive been on Citalopram for 3 days now...i take 1 Citalopram 20mg in the mornings,and tonight im going to a party with some friends and will end up getting drunk(and when i say drunk i mean about 8 cans of Fosters (Larger) ),i always drink Fosters (Larger),is it safe to drink alcohol while i take these,have any of you tried it or had experience with it?

Thanks.

Re: Citalopram & Alcohol...

i was in doubt too

I just drink as normal now with them.

If I feel crap the next day so be it

Hi I drink every weekend on it. Feel extra rough the day after, but no reall bad reactions.

HI
    It makes you feel worse the next day and alcohol apparently stops it working so well, but I still drank on it, and eventualy it just stopped working for me.
    To be fair though I used to drink a hell of alot more than most people, and alot more than 8 fosters.
    If you are really worried or notice a change in how your feeling talking to your GP might be best, there are other drugs that dont react so badly with alcohol
    Take care
    xx

My doctor told me not to drink while taking Citalopram, and to be honest as I was very aware I was drinking too much it was good to give it up. I had a glass of champagne at New Year and was like a zombie the following day. Take care.

Unhappy Re: Citalopram & Alcohol...

Hi there,

I'm on week eight of 10mg Cital.

I have not drank any alcohol since starting my course, until Saturday.

I had THREE bottles of Budwieser 5 days ago, and I feel worse than I have felt in a very long time.

I will not be touching alcohol until I am finished taking citalopram.

I was almost in tears today

It certainly undercuts some of the good feeling, but in moderation, I'm ok with a couple of glasses of wine.

Kx

After the time I had getting on to citalopram, nothing on Earth would convince me to drink any alcohol until a month after I have finished my course of medication! I bet it would make me feel shocking!

That said, citalopram does not seem to be regarded as reactive so you should be safe, you just might feel rather unpleasant!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I had a couple of Baileys a couple of weeks ago when I had a mini crisis, and I am taking Cit, and it really made me feel sicky and yukky. I used to love Baileys too. I cant drink anymore - it affects my anxiety a lot the following couple of days after.

I used to drink my normal amounts when I first started, which was quite a lot and I wouldn't recommend it. If you drink too frequently it just negates the effect of citalopram and can give you increased highs and lows. I still have the odd night out because I like to, the hangovers the next day have a strange feeling to them, kind of like you're away with the fairies and I tend to feel very very ill - (ovbiously partly to do with the alcohol ) but more so than usual.

As long as you're aware and prepared for how you may feel (it may not change for you, everyone reacts differently) then it should be fine. Just don't drink lots and often..!!! and as they say... 'all in moderation'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information