Thread: coming off citalopram

coming off citalopram

Hi guys, over the summer I came off citalopram because I didn't think it was helping much, but have recently started feeling so panicky but different to how i panicked before when I was on it, more sort of out of this world panic, i guess paranoia. I went to the doctors about coming off it- I was on 50mg a day for over a year and he gave me a timetable but i just stopped taking it, instead of doing it gradually, i got a lot of colds and the weird loose brain thing but i thought that was over now, but even a few months after stopping do you think it might be causing the panic? Sorry bit longwinded, thanks for your help in advance

Hi Sal

I have been taking Citalopram on and off for 8 years now, and have learnt in the past i have come off them too quickly, 6 months on i have always ended up back on them again.
    I have been cutting them down over the last few months this time, 40mg for a couple months, then 30mg for a couple of months and so on, im taking 10mg and hoping to come off them after xmas.

I would visit your GP if the panic is getting worse, and if you have to go back on them and reduce slowly, dont be a shamed, i have made that mistake too so you are not alone hun. just do it slowly and you will get there !

Hugs

Andrea
    xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Hi Sal,Im on citalopram.I came off before the summer,for 3months and Im back on again.Like Andrea said,you need to come off very slowly.

Ellen XX

SSRI discontinuation syndrome is fairly common. Sadly these are things doctors don't discuss with patients.
    In some countries (not ours) SSRI's are not allowed to be classed as non-habit-forming, there is a strict medical definition for something to be classed as addictive, but many class SSRI's as dependency-inducing.

I was on citalopram for a year and came off it in October. I did it over a period of 2 months which I thought was slowly, but am nw definitely slipping again and can invisage going back on them shortly. i came off them because I want a baby and thoght that that would be enough to pull me through - but that doesn't help when I'm home alone and my heart is racing and I can't stop crying! PLEASE COME OFF THEM REALLY SLOWLY.

Thread Information