Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping,passing out or dying feeling please read

sleeping,passing out or dying feeling please read

I had drifted off to sleep in the recliner while watching football on tv with my husband. I kept partially waking up with the horrible feeling that I was about to die or pass out. Its hard to explain but really, really frightening . My pulse was normal but I had a terrible feeling of doom which is still with me, now about 45 minutes later. Feel nauseous and legs sort of pulsing. Really feel something awful is still about to happen i.e. I, dying. I,m not exaggerating,i,m so scared and don't know what to do.

Re: sleeping,passing out or dying feeling please read

The feeling of imminent threat, danger and doom is typical of a panic attack. As you fall asleep, your subconscious wakes up and creates images that are confusing for your conscious mind. Naturally, you don't have control over your faculties as you lose consciousness which is why the panic attack seems so scary and threatening.
    Please know that you're not alone. Everyone on this site is going through what you're going through. You're not dying, just anxious

Thank you. The feeling was so strong when I woke up again this morning. I,m scared that it's not going away. Can constant anxiety cause constant high adrenaline with horrible symptoms,or does it have to be panic attack strength to cause such horrible feelings?

I feel so anxious I can,t relax my muscles and just feel like screaming to release tension .
    Awful agitation and restlessness.
    Last edited by busterrufus; 28-06-16 at 13:41. Reason: forgot s

Anxiety causes panic attacks. The reason why you feel this way is because you're highly anxious. Recurring thoughts of anxiety raise your anxiety levels which in turn make you have a panic attack, which, again, causes more anxious thoughts. It sounds like a never-ending cycle!
    Saying that, it might be a good idea to release some of that tension (maybe not through screaming, though, lol.. unless you live in a secluded place!) by doing some physical exercise, or doing some work around the house, etc. Even laughing or crying helps release the tension.

Perhaps you could even try some techniques that rely on relaxing your muscles and regulating your breath pattern.

Thanks. I feel helpless and can hardly believe that I can,t stop this adrenaline - fear cycle.
    Everytime a symptom returns I feel more hopeless. I need to find something that works,quickly.
    I tried progressive muscle relaxation earlier but couldn't get started properly. I couldn't stand the sound of the man,s voice on the recording,even though I,ve used it before ok. I,m so irritable! I,ll try again later.
    I understand when you say other people here have similar problems, but it really feels like it ,s just me and no one really understands. That can,t be true though.
    Ana have you experienced severe anxiety,or are you an advisor?
    I,m still getting feeling of terrible doom. I feel like I,m dying.
    Does anyone feel like they keep getting squirts of adrenaline? It feels like poison.
    Last edited by busterrufus; 28-06-16 at 14:11. Reason: f

Hi Busterrufus. What you explain is classic anxiety with night terrors (nighttime panic attacks). These are pretty common amongst anxiety/panic disorder sufferers. For some people they occur when drifting off to sleep and they bolt upright feeling they can't breathe or are falling down. For others they wake up in the night in the midst of a full-on panic attack. I've suffered with both versions and sometimes I'm scared to go to bed in case a panic occurs when I'm most vulnerable (asleep).

The continued fear and feeling of doom is like a panic attack hangover - your body is still coming down from the adrenaline. That combined with the knowledge of how terrifying an attack is can, for some people, lead to a cycle of panic and fear of panic.

Try to distract yourself. If your mind's too busy to do breathing techniques, try a crossword. Another tip I've learnt from here is to commentate of everything around you so you bring yourself back into reality.

Good luck and know you're not alone.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Oh and thank you for describing something which I've tried to articulate for months - the squirts of adrenaline. Sometimes I get these like a surge in my mind, but mostly it's like a "zing" that shocks my body.

Thanks. Feel as though I can't think straight about I,vi feel so bad. Feel like I'm never going to get better. It can't just be stress hormones m I feel like my family don't love me any more because they must think I'm exaggerating. Iwould give everything I own to be better. Been trying for months but this is a knock back. It can't be adrenaline or cortisol .iim not usually stupid but when I feel so bad it doesn't make sense. It's like, yes that's what it is for other people , but it can't be that making me bad. I can't think straight,sat in chair or on bed all day crying. I am pathetic and don't deserve my family
    How much can someone take

Apple, tried doing a puzzle earlier, couldn't do it, too agitated
    Don't want to sound"poor me " can't seem to pick up. I should be supporting my 93year old father, not been able to visit him for 2 weeks, feel so guilty. He keeps telling my to keep my chin up and that I,ll be alright, but I don't believe it. I feel so. Sad

And why do my rotten legs ache and burn so much!!

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Sorry. I know people on here are suffering. So sorry. There is no peace to be found with this is there? I hate the way I am no longer the person I was.
    Last edited by busterrufus; 28-06-16 at 19:16. Reason: f

I'm sorry to hear you're so irritable and in an agitated state at the moment. Anxiety is a very solitary disorder, I think, as it brings all of your attention inwards and makes you feel like you're all alone, the only person in the world suffering from it. This, as I'm sure you've noticed, couldn't be further from the truth.

Good news is that anxiety is manageable and curable. A combination of therapy, medication, and support of the people who care about me is what I find the most useful. I wish I were only on here to advise others lol! In truth, I'm a long-term sufferer (15+ years), and my anxiety was very severe at times: I couldn't leave the house for days on end, my days felt like one massive panic attack, from dusk till dawn, I was on 4 different types of meds daily, etc, etc. Hopefully this reassures you that you're not alone.

Thanks
    Apple and Ana I am stuck in thefear-panic cycle you mention. I am pretty sure it's because of the leg symptoms of burning, aching and twitching calves which have appeared in this latest bad bout of anxiety. I m not sure if that is caused by adrenaline, I,ve been trying hard to get rid of it by supplements and very gentle exercise but that doesn't seem to be working. Its on my mind all the time and it must fuel the cycle of fear.

Ana, I too am a long term sufferer and you probably know how devastating it is to fall into this again. I have had various therapies and meds in the past and I know they work for most people. I feel so weary to be here again. I often feel a bit better in the evening, I,ve read that could be something to do with cortisol levels and would like to know if anyone else has this? If so is there any way you,ve found to reduce it? In the morning its wham, back to feeling dreadful (full of dread). Don't know if its cortisol or adrenaline or both, my head is mashed from trying to research it, I think I m too anxious to take things in properly. Also, googling seems to make me focus on the worst things.

I know we are all different and don't experience symptoms in exactly the same way. I do value opinions from fellow sufferers. Please help if you can. Thanks

I completely understand what you mean when you say you're weary to be here again. Setbacks and blips are tough to deal with because, when they happen, it's a bit like they suddenly undo all the good work you've done over the years. This, however, doesn't mean that the work has actually been undone; it just feels like it has.
    Perhaps you just need to wait it out and not be so adamant on eliminating all the symptoms and learning as much as possible about cortisol, adrenaline, and what not. It may sound like an odd piece of advice, but sometimes, you just need a break from being proactive and battling your anxiety, and instead, you need to allow yourself to feel poorly, don't resist it. It'll pass eventually, it always does, as I'm sure you've noticed over the years.

Remind yourself of how many times this has happened to you in the past, and how many times you got back on your feet again. Back then, you didn't think you would have the strength and the energy to recover, but you did. Take some time 'off' research, and just feel. Gradually, you'll find the feelings have subsided, and you'll be more rested to carry on with the battle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information