Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram - how long does it take to work?

Unhappy Citalopram - how long does it take to work?

I feel terrible. I'm absolutely shattered, I have no energy and I don't seem to enjoy anything anymore. Today I just feel really, really down and I have no motivation at work (where I am now). I've also put on half a stone in weight which just makes me feel even worse.

I recently increased my dosage of citalopram from 10mg to 20mg, and I've been on the new dosage for 3.5 weeks. I'm beginning to wonder if the jump from 10mg to 20mg was too much for me, and I should cut back to 15mg.

When I started on 10mg, after 3 weeks I felt absolutely great! However, after 12 weeks the old panic feelings crept back so my doctor upped the dosage.

What should I do? Should I stick with the 20mg for another few weeks or go to 15mg? I just don't feel like myself at all, and the tiredness is so debilatating. Any advice from experienced citalopram users, or anyone in the same position as me would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Citalopram - how long does it take to work?

Hi Lou, id be interested to see some replies to this as ive just had my dose upped from 10mg to 20 ( i havent taken 20 yet, was going to start tomorrow)

Are the side affects heightened by increased dose, if so how long does it last?

I have been on citalopram for many year's.With a break of 3 month's.I had awful side affect's when I went back on them which lasted two week's and then everything settled down.I felt nauseas,very tired,very drowsy for the two week's

Im on 40 mg at present but have been on 60 mg in the past.They can take up to a month to kick in,but it will be different with different people,same with the side affect's,not everybody get's them.

Well it's my 5th day on citalopram and for 6 weeks i suffored with tension headches and i mean every day.....but now i can say this is the first day where i can hardly feel any pressure in my head and its greatttt!!!! But was wondering if any one has put on weight whilst being on them or lost weight?

hi hun

my citalopram took 3 months to get right. i can remember the tired phase too.

mine has settled now and im on 40mg.

u just have to ride it out im afraid, it takes a while, but once its sorted it does help u feel more normal.

go chat to ur gp if ur worried

milly xx

ps ive put on about a stone in weight

Hi louise, please don't worry as I myself was in the exact same boat as you. I was on 10mg and like you had to increase to 20mg and it took a few weeks to start working. You won't wake up one day and feel amazing again, it slowly starts to get better and you will know when it is working properly. It takes time to build up in your brain so give it a chance and rest assure that citalopram will work for you. I had the side effects also and they weren't nice but they are worth it believe me. I am now on 30mg and doing great, had no side effects from 20mg to 30mg.

Red face Re: Citalopram - how long does it take to work?

Hi guys, just a quickie!
    The weight thing... I put 2 stone on in 2 years! But i felt much happier and had less panic, wouldn't change it x x x

Thanks for your replies. The tiredness has not gone away and I still have no motivation for anything. I'm off to see my GP tomorrow to see if I can drop down to 15mg. Hopefully, I should feel better soon x

Hi Louise

Please dont feel scared of Citalopram. 20mg is still a very low dose. If you have side effects when you stepped up to 20 dont worry because these will go in a few days. It seems that the dose that works for most people is 40mg. After you get used to 20mg going up should not be a problem. Dont put yourself under pressure trust your GP and give the tablets a chance to work.
    Why do you want to go down to 15mg?

Best of luck

Andy

hi i started taking citalopram 5 days ago due to a dramatic change in my life over a year ago, and also i have got a 8 wk old baby i was very tearful, angry, stressed and i could come across aggressive i couldnt face the world so my doctor has put me on 10mg of citalopram and i have read what other people have said about the side affects and it not working yet but i feel much calmer already i was wondering if its possible for it to work this quick??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information