Thread: I've had near constant tingling in my fingers for over a week. Is it psychosomatic?

I've had near constant tingling in my fingers for over a week. Is it psychosomatic?

Hey all,

I'm really worrying about this symptom so I'd appreciate any advice!

As some background to my worry, I work for a biotech company, and also wear Invisalign, which requires that I brush my teeth after each meal. I've been using the bathroom nearest the labs to brush my teeth for the best 2 months, and will lay a paper towel on the sink counter to lay my toothbrush on after I brush while I rinse out. Now I'm not sure why, but around two weeks ago I started thinking and googling about dangerous lab chemicals, and for some reason I convinced myself that the bathroom I had been using was contaminated by a chemical called acrylamide which can cause peripheral neuropathy and things like tingling fingers.

I emailed the lab safety officer and asked him what he thought, and he said that people are supposed to take off their gloves before leaving lab and going to the bathroom, so the bathroom I used shouldn't be any more dangerous than a normal bathroom.

But then a few days later I began to experience tingling fingers just like I had read about as a symptom. It seems very vague, and when I'm concentrating on something else it seems to go away, but It's been constantly there the past week or so.

Is this likely psycosomatic because the symptoms came after I read about them? Is it common for this tingling sensation to last this long? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Re: I've had near constant tingling in my fingers for over a week. Is it psychosomati

When my HA first reared its ugly head, it was many eons ago back in highschool.

We had a kid in our class who got a brain tumor. I had heard he had headaches, and soon enough I had one too. I lasted three months. Finally, a CT scan later, I was clear, and low and behold the headache lifted.

What kind of exposure would you need to experience the side effects? I imagine it would be substantial. If you had not read about the symptom, I am guessing it would never have shown. Anxiety will absolutely cause that symptom too.

Re: I've had near constant tingling in my fingers for over a week. Is it psychosomati

I always get tingling in my right hand, no explanation. Always seems to happen when my heart feels 'out of whack' so that never helps the panic.

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Because finger tingling is so common, usually I'd say there's a physical reason for it. Carpel tunnel syndrome for example. However, in this case, given they only randomly appeared after reading about it. I'd say its more likely psychological in origin.

I read an article this morning that mentioned that anxiety can cause tingling in hands and feet. I’ll try to find it.

Thread Information