Thread: Afraid to Exercise

Afraid to Exercise

I have had health anxiety for a few years. It escalated to a panic disorder that included countless trips to the ER for "heart attacks". Cardiologist diagnosed me with SVT, and sent me on my way with beta blockers. (They gave me palps and lowered my heart rate TOO much, so I stopped taking them.) I'm controlling the SVT with avoiding triggers. Hormones can cause issues still, but I'm pretty good at taming the resulting panic.

I've tried a variety of SSRI's with no results, except 40 extra pounds. I noticed that certain foods aggravate the anxiety, so I did an elimination diet. Anxiety is a good bit better now.

I'd like to start to exercise. I'm a 38-year old, obese woman with Fibromyalgia. I'm very out of shape, due to both the physical and mental illnesses. I know that light exercise should help both of them, but I still have that lingering voice that tells me my heart won't be able to withstand the exercise.

Anyone else with exercise anxiety? Were you able to overcome it?

Re: Afraid to Exercise

Take it really steady. Walking is good, start small and increase gradually

Re: Afraid to Exercise

Yes, knowing where to start and actually starting is really difficult. This is one of those "do what I didn't do things", but they always say to speak to your doctor first don't "they". So maybe get some advice in light of your health problems.

Walking is great. Start gently and slowly build up like the other poster said. Put headphones on and listen to your favourite music. I also got an inexpensive exercise bike from a local advert. I found this a good way to start as no one can see me! There are also so many exercise vids on YouTube you can get for free. Have a search for beginners things - yoga or even just stretches are great to reduce any aches and pains from other forms of exercise. I also really like swimming, but I know that going along to a pool when I've not done anything for ages or when anxiety is bad feels like a big deal.

Thread Information