Thread: Exercise

Exercise

Silly question, but how long does it take before you start to feel the benefits of exercise?

I'm quite overweight (Well size 22) and have not exercised properley for a couple of years now, so for the past week or so I have been going for walks and also playing badminton in the garden (random I know!). I have stayed off the coffee which really makes my symptoms worse needless to say.

But this afternoon I am sitting here at work with the same old symptoms, feeling like I have got loads of adrenaline pumping through my body and having tingly feelings in my arms and legs. I'm still feeling unreal but it is more on and off than it used to be, and not so constant, but I find it depends on the time of the month so I think I'm dealing with the unreal feelings ok.

Maybe I am being impatient but I thought the 'full of adrenaline' feeling would disappear once I started exercising?!

Julia x

'To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world'.

Hi Julia

I have stopped exercising again!!!! But i am definately getting back on my exercise bike and going swimming again. The effect it had on me was brilliant, it took a while for me to notice the effects (about 3-4 weeks with me) but one day i was walking to work and i noticed that i was hardly feeling anxious at all. I was also a coke fiend (cola that is!!!) so i've had to give that up, but after a few days it was'nt so bad. You will get there, shame it has to be such hard work though, but if you keep at it, you will notice a difference, even a good hours stint gardening makes me less anxious and panicky and i sleep better at night also.
    Keep it up, you will feel better for it.
    Marie XX

Hi Julia
    It took me ages to start exercising but now that I am I feel so much better - at the weekend I tend to go on long walks with my husband and feel better almost immediatly - have a much calmer evening and sleep better too - not sure if its the fresh air or the exercise! Again, the days I do step I feel calmer in the evening. It maybe took 2 or 3 weeks to see a difference becasue it took a while to get going again and to stop feeling anxious about exercising!!
    Keep up the good work - I'm sure you'll start feeling the effects soon enough.
    Love Helen

julia

there are different parts to the benefits of exercise - cardiovascular, muscle strength, flexibility, calorie burn, feel good endorphins, sense of achievement

it takes at least a few weeks to feel the benefits, 6 - 12 weeks to strengthen muscle, and doing at least 30 mins of something 5 times a week is the basic recipe.

after several months of a major anxiety and depression beakdown - having been most of the time unable to move from the bed or sofa - i joined a gym knowing i had to get back in action - to start with and for many months i didn't respond as normal with the feelgood endorphins - it seemed to leave me feeling very fogged and unreal but somehow better than if i had not done it - a year later i still don't react to exercise in quite the same way as i used to but then in most things i react somewhat differently to before my anxiety experiences

if you think of it as activity rather than exercise it feels less of a chore - keep it up - even if you don't feel better right away it is doing you good as long as you are ok by your doc to exercise

jos

Ive just come back from my wednesday aerobics class and I feel a bit anxious after doing it but i think i confuse hunger with anxiety, after all ive just burnt up a load of calories leaving me feeling shakey.

JULIA - keep it going, walking is good (especially if faster than normal) and doing 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins in the evening will make you feel much better in yourself.

Last year I did a class in body combat for 9 months , i went 3 times a week and found my anxiety dropped alot and i felt more confident - then the class shut down and i was lost.

I dont find it easy but we must do the excersize to burn up the adrenalin,
    but also dont make the adrenalin in the first place by eating less sugar laden foods.......EXCERSIZE AND EAT NO SUGARAND NOT SO MANY CARBS [xx(]

mirryx

Thread Information