Thread: My child says the sky is falling down

My child says the sky is falling down

Hi I am new to this website so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section. I myself am a sufferer of GAD which I can thankfully say is pretty much under control at present!

However, my 3.5 y/o son seems to have developed some kind of fear when we are out and about. It's not all the time but every now and then her will freeze and start screaming/crying and when asked what is wrong he says that the sky is falling down. It's becoming more regular. I began worrying that it could be some kind of underlying health condition (epilepsy/tumour) but figure this is my GAD reminding me that it is still lurking.

Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences? It's one thing dealing with your own anxiety's but seeing your child so sacred just takes it to another level

Re: My child says the sky is falling down

I don't know if this will help, just an idea.
    Maybe if you share the traditional story Chicken Licken with your son - he'll open up about his fears. Chicken Licken feared the sky was falling down! The story may encourage your boy to describe how the sky is actually "falling down" in his life.

Good idea Lucinda....I remember Chicken-Lickin and Turkey-lurkey too.

King Toad, does your son do this when clouds are heavy? I remember one of my daughters at that age saying the same thing if she couldn't see a clear sky.

This is just an idea,but do you think your child could be suffering with Sensory overload ? If this only happens when you are in a noisy or busy enviroment,it may be worth keeping a diary of when this occurs. Then you can show it to your Dr if you feel there is a certain pattern .
    It of course may be something you can easily talk to him about like the Chicken Licken story.
    Do let us know the outcome.

Clarisse

Thanks all! We had our sons eyes checked and the optometrist was happy. She also suggested chicken licken.

It does seem to be at busier times / moments or where he has had an episode before.

Thread Information