Thread: Day 9 of citalopram increase - worried again!

Day 9 of citalopram increase - worried again!

So for the first 8 days I felt nothing except very low mood.
    Today i am on day 9. Im feeling anxiety, ears ringing and I feel like my head is so full of a million thoughts I will explode.
    I havent felt anxiety in a while...is this normal for day 9?
    Im a bridesmaid at my mums wedding on saturday and Im so worried I will be 'ill'for it.
    I really wasnt expecting to come out of the first week feeling this way?
    Reassurance needed :(

Re: Day 9 of citalopram increase - worried again!

Medication has side effects and everyone reacts differently. You are worrying about something in the future. We can't do that to ourselves. All we have is right now and that is where we need to keep our focus. I don't consider us as "ill". We need to learn coping skills to rope in our intrusive thoughts. Good luck with your meds, they helped me for a short time, but I decided to beat anxiety without them. It can be done. It takes a lot of hard work and constant monitoring of our thoughts.

Thankyou snow ghost. I have been paranoid the increased dose is making me worse than when I was on the 10mg but I guess that might be my anxiety?
    I feel so irritable like I could lose my temper any minute. That and the low mood has only been since I uppes my dose.
    I guess I just want reassurance that theae are typical feelings when you increase the dose, as I cant talk to my family about it as they really dont understand and I dont want to feel like I go on at them.
    My mood wasnt bad on the 10mg but i was getting anxiety still occasionally.
    Maybe I convinced myself I didnt need the 20 when I did? So feeling irritable and angry about it is my anxiety making me feel this way like I am a failure?
    I think I would feel loads better if I knew over a week in it was normal to still feel these horrible things because at he moment im thinking what if it was a mistake? What of im making myself worse?
    Thankyou x

Quote Originally Posted by Aejh91 View Post
    So for the first 8 days I felt nothing except very low mood.
    Today i am on day 9. Im feeling anxiety, ears ringing and I feel like my head is so full of a million thoughts I will explode.
    I havent felt anxiety in a while...is this normal for day 9?
    Im a bridesmaid at my mums wedding on saturday and Im so worried I will be 'ill'for it.
    I really wasnt expecting to come out of the first week feeling this way?
    Reassurance needed :(
    Braver than me.. after 3 days of citalopram my jaw kept shaking and I kept grinding my teeth. Constant headaches couldn't even get an erection!! wasn't happy with citalopram. Hope it works out for you. Keep posted and updated?

Good luck for Saturday. Crossing fingers you feel tip top 🤞

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi L double E!
    The first few days of starting citalopram are horrific and scary but it does get better honestly! If you see it through it is so worth it! I experienced everything you said, apart from the erection as I am a girl lol!
    Im feeling quite irrational again at the moment whereas on the 10mg i became much more rational! Hoping it will all settle down soon, especially for the wedding!
    I will keep you updated

I've been trying to look for alternatives at the moment, I don't take any medication for anything really, but people keep saying everyone is different and require different medications however I haven't found the right one for me just yet. I didn't want to take citalopram just for the simple fact I was freaking out that it might ruin my sex drive and I'll get ED or something. Looking for natural stuff at the moment. Thinking about 5htp, everyone seems to talk wonders about it.

As you say you were rational on 10mg would it hurt to just stay on 10mg for a few more days? You're supposed to ease into them right? At least you might feel better for the wedding then, your decision or if your doctor has said otherwise then dont pay attention to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by LDoubleE View Post
    Thinking about 5htp, everyone seems to talk wonders about it.
    Which is probably a clear case of the placebo effect for the premise for its use is faulty.

Despite the popular myth, anxiety disorders and depression are not caused by having low brain serotonin levels, nor do SSRIs increase serotonin, except in the first few weeks which is what produces most of the side-effects, including heightened anxiety. Levels soon drop back to baseline and in areas of the brain associated with anxiety and depression to well below baseline. See my: Serotonin - The 'chemical imbalance' myth

The second problem is the brain is not the only serotonergic organ. The enteric nervous system (ENS), the mini brain which controls the gut, makes and uses about 50 times as much as the brain and given orally taken 5-HTP enters the gut first the ENS will scavenge almost all of it for its own use. In research 5-HTP is usually injected subcutaneously (under the skin), or directly into the brains of research animals. Even then most of it is still converted to serotonin in the gut as explained by the discoverer of the serotonin-ENS connection, Michael D. Gershon M.D.

Also be aware that 5-HTP may contain Peak-X contaminates. Peak-X is though to trigger the immune system disorder Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). Peak-X contaminated L-Tryptophan caused the deaths of 37 people in the late 1980s and permanently damaged the health of another 1,500+. See: Notes on the Tryptophan Disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Which is probably a clear case of the placebo effect for the premise for its use is faulty.

Despite the popular myth, anxiety disorders and depression are not caused by having low brain serotonin levels, nor do SSRIs increase serotonin, except in the first few weeks which is what produces most of the side-effects, including heightened anxiety. Levels soon drop back to baseline and in areas of the brain associated with anxiety and depression to well below baseline. See my: Serotonin - The 'chemical imbalance' myth

The second problem is the brain is not the only serotonergic organ. The enteric nervous system (ENS), the mini brain which controls the gut, makes and uses about 50 times as much as the brain and given orally taken 5-HTP enters the gut first the ENS will scavenge almost all of it for its own use. In research 5-HTP is usually injected subcutaneously (under the skin), or directly into the brains of research animals. Even then most of it is still converted to serotonin in the gut as explained by the discoverer of the serotonin-ENS connection, Michael D. Gershon M.D.

Also be aware that 5-HTP may contain Peak-X contaminates. Peak-X is though to trigger the immune system disorder Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). Peak-X contaminated L-Tryptophan caused the deaths of 37 people in the late 1980s and permanently damaged the health of another 1,500+. See: Notes on the Tryptophan Disaster.
    1980s is far from now. The way you're talking there is no cure for anxiety. There is such thing as chemical imbalance. Some people don't create enough serotonin. Hence needing meds. Frankly I hate all medications but I'm stuck indoors with agoraphobia. So I'm out of options and willing to try anything that doesn't ruin my dick or make me feel like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by LDoubleE View Post
    1980s is far from now.
    Nevertheless people are still contracting EMS from L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP as the National Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome Network will confirm.

There is such thing as chemical imbalance. Some people don't create enough serotonin.
    Sorry, but no, there is no evidence for this, indeed the evidence shows just the opposite. Check the links I provided in my Serotonin - The 'chemical imbalance' myth page.

Mice lacking an enzyme needed to synthesize serotonin are no more depressed than ordinary mice, and less anxious, but more aggressive.

Hence needing meds.
    Antidepressants do not work by raising (or indeed lowering) brain neurotransmitter levels, but by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly. For a more detailed explanation see: How antidepressant drugs act.

So I'm out of options and willing to try anything that doesn't ruin my dick or make me feel like crap.
    Antidepressants may cause a range of unpleasant side-effects at the beginning due to the initial spike in serotonin activity, but these usually settle down after a few weeks as serotonin synthesis and expression is down-regulated. One of the ongoing side-effects can be sexual dysfunction, but there are ways of reducing the impact.

Therapy is another option. The cognitive and/or behavioural (CBT, REBT) or mindfulness therapies can be at least as effective as antidepressants.

Thread Information