Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Re: Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDJ View Post
    Hi guys - I saw that there have been topics on this in the past, but they were all 2+ years old, so I thought it would be ok to start a new thread

Basically, ever since I was a kid, I have been terrified of anything that bangs or makes a loud, startling noise. I don't really know when it started because I have memories of being a very young child at birthday parties and having fun bursting balloons, firing cap guns etc., with no problem at all.

I now have to avoid any situations where there is a chance of something banging or making a loud noise unexpectedly and obviously guy fawkes night is a massive nightmare! As much as I have tried to get over it as I've gotten older, I really can't. As an example, I recently attended a birthday party for a friend's young daughter, where there were obviously a lot of balloons... I was on edge the whole time and repeatedly had to make excuses to leave the room and even go out of the house.

It is so incredibly disruptive to a lot of situations (way more than you would expect) and therefore, I'd love to try and resolve the underlying problems, so any advice that anyone can provide would be really really really appreciated!

Many thanks
    Hello. We have spoken before in the past. I initially came to see how you were holding up! Me, being a Highly Sensitive Person, I have a very hard time with loud noises so I understand completely. I also tend to avoid them which I know doesn't help but I haven't found anything to be particularly helpful because it's just who I am

Quote Originally Posted by GlobusGirl32 View Post
    Hello. We have spoken before in the past. I initially came to see how you were holding up! Me, being a Highly Sensitive Person, I have a very hard time with loud noises so I understand completely. I also tend to avoid them which I know doesn't help but I haven't found anything to be particularly helpful because it's just who I am
    Hello! I'm doing pretty well... I haven't been on here too often of late but I got a notification to say you'd replied... Sorry to hear that you also experience the same issues related to loud noises. It's such a big issue for me - just a few days ago there was a thunderstorm that started whilst I was outside in my garage, and I had to hide away in there for ages until it stopped before I had the courage to head back down the garden into the house... I actually feel so pathetic even admitting that, which is why I suppose I have hidden it away from my RL for so long. The shame almost equals the fear at times.

Hope you're doing ok in general though

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Me too :(

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDJ View Post
    Hello! I'm doing pretty well... I haven't been on here too often of late but I got a notification to say you'd replied... Sorry to hear that you also experience the same issues related to loud noises. It's such a big issue for me - just a few days ago there was a thunderstorm that started whilst I was outside in my garage, and I had to hide away in there for ages until it stopped before I had the courage to head back down the garden into the house... I actually feel so pathetic even admitting that, which is why I suppose I have hidden it away from my RL for so long. The shame almost equals the fear at times.

Hope you're doing ok in general though
    Hi Anxiety dj.

Nice to see you here again. I know the feeling and the fact that it just doesnt go away. Im the same and it wont change now. I managed to improve years ago from being terrified of things like balloons to being able to manage it a bit but I guess now it jjst wont go away.

All the best anyways.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information