Thread: Does shoulder pain cause the neck pain?

Does shoulder pain cause the neck pain?

I am wondering if anyone experiences the neck pain and or bad headaches when there shoulders are really bad. I have tried to do a few exercises with my arms and I think it aggravated my shoulders and then caused me to have a headache from back to forehead.
    Does anyone have a particular stretch that works for them?
    Has anyone ever been able to overcome this?

thank you

TT

When you're anxious, your shoulders and neck get tense, this leads to headache, espeially at the back of your head and going over the top to the front, sounds like what you've got. Maybe try some relaxation or massage. I get occipital (back of head) headaches too, from my neck. A chiropracter helped a bit, but it still comes back sometimes.

Re: Does shoulder pain cause the neck pain?

Hi there, ive had frozen shoulder thats just on the mend after 8 months its been a trial i tell you! I often get neck ache and headache its all connected , like my shoulder problem started in my arm. Its the same with ppl with lower back problems get pain in the leg. I found using your fingers and '' walk'' up a wall or a door gives you a good stretch if you start to feel pain stop keep doing this a few times a day it helped me anyway hope your well soon x

I have found then when i am most stressed my shoulders are high & tense this causes neck pain & a tight scalp.
    Apparently when our shoulders are tense the skin & muscles clench & the blood vessels constrict & causes these pains.

I use radian B rub, good posture & try not to wrry & this helps me

xxxx

hi
    i have pain across my shoulders and neck for years, absolute agony somedays. i have recently been going to a chiropracter who has really helped me. he told me that a lot of it is due to posture, sitting hunched up at the shoulders and also due to years of holding all my tension in that area. i find that heat helps take the pain away a bit aswell, either a soak in the bath or a heat pad helps. good luck and hope you get sorted. x

Hello,

I have bad shoulder pains too, definitely the back/shoulder/neck pain is all related! I particularly get it on my right side where I once pulled the shoulder ligament picking up a particularly heavy box of carrots (!) and it still plays me up now!

I have recently found a miracle relief for this - you should all give it a try, it is great!

Firstly, you need to get hold of some sort of muscle pain relief cream of some kind (Deep Freeze is my personal favourite, but even something like Ibuprofen cream would do the trick!) then, just before you go to bed, put this all over your shoulders, the back of your neck, the tops of your arms and your shoulder blades, and anywhere else that is aching, then lie down on your back, with a pillow under each arm by your sides, so that you are in a comfortable, relaxed position. If you can fall asleep like this, do! For some reason the extra support just seems to ease all the muscles, and when I do this I wake up feeling completely better!

Also the advice about heat is a good one - hot water bottles and especially baths help me a lot!

Let me know if it works!

Danny xxx

Thread Information