Thread: Ovarian Cyst--Freaking Out

Ovarian Cyst--Freaking Out

Hi everyone. I'm having a really rough time at the moment, and wondering if anyone has any advice.

In early March, I had a really bad bout of diarrhea, which ended up with me going to the Emergency Room where they did some tests, gave me IV fluids, and when I said I was scared of cancer, they gave me a CT scan. The CT scan showed I had a 2.5cm ovarian cyst, a 5mm liver cyst, some free fluid in the pelvis, and enlarged mesenteric lymph nodes. I was told the cysts were nothing to worry about and the lymph nodes were enlarged due to whatever virus I had. I took those results to my family doctor later that week and he agreed that no further follow up was needed. I should note that I had been having pain on the right side of my abdomen off and on for months by that point, but it was never severe and never lasted long enough that I thought much of it (actually I assumed it was ovarian cysts, since I had them in the past).

On June 15, I went to a new gynecologist due to insurance issues with my previous gyno and wanting to get a few things checked out. She confirmed via ultrasound that I still had a cyst on the right ovary, though it was smaller, and it had some "debris". I again mentioned that I was worried about cancer, and she assured me she didn't think it was cancer, but she wanted me to go for another ultrasound after my period.

I had the second ultrasound yesterday, and the results were less positive than I had hoped. Although the US tech said everything "looked fine" when I asked her, my doctor called me later in the day and said that the cyst was still present. They were classifying it as a "hemorrhagic cyst" and it was a little bigger than when the doctor had looked in the office (about 2 cm). I apparently also had free fluid in the pelvis again, although the doctor stated that could be from my period. The doctor said I should not worry about it, that it was so small they wouldn't consider surgery, and go for a follow up US in 3 months. I pushed her on the possibility of cancer and the fact that this cyst had already been hanging around for months, and she said I could do a CA-125 blood test and rescan in 2 months if I wanted to be more conservative.

So, here I am, thinking the worst. I just have this suspicion that the doctors aren't taking this seriously because I'm pre-menopausal (37), but I do have risk factors (mom had breast cancer, I never had children, I did fertility treatments). I also feel like I have all of the symptoms of ovarian cancer (reduced appetite/nausea, increased gas/bloating, urinary urgency), but of course those are very vague and are also things that tend to be aggravated by anxiety.

I want this cyst out of me, and I don't see how I can wait 2 months for another scan. I will do the blood test, but I know there are often false positives with that, and it scares the heck out of me. At this point, I don't even know what else I could do that would alleviate my fears. The only way to be 100% sure it isn't cancer is surgical removal. Even if I could convince the doctor to remove it, that's not likely to happen for a few weeks.

I can't eat, and I can't sleep. I'm supposed to run a half marathon in 10 days that I've trained 12 weeks for, and I don't know if I can manage to keep my energy levels up enough. I'm trying to choke down food, but it's a huge struggle.

Anyone have any advice?

Re: Ovarian Cyst--Freaking Out

Hello,

I had some ovary/uterus issues last year and what my sister (who's nearing the end of nursing school and works in a hospital) told me while I waited and worried is that if the ultrasound tech and the doctor feel confidant enough to tell you not to worry than I would take their word for it. She told me Doctors and nurses worry constantly about being sued by patients and always tell you what they really feel.

I know it's hard not to worry though and I sympathize with what you're going through but it sounds like your doctor has you on a pretty conservative watch and see approach.

I hope you're feeling better.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Re: Ovarian Cyst--Freaking Out

Hi how are you getting on? I have been getting horrible pain for the last couple of cycles. Last month 2 weeks before period and this month a week before period. I had ultrasound Monday and I have a cyst and pelvic fluid. I am not sure what sort of cyst or what size the doctor said small. He said if I still have pain I will need another ultrasound and maybe a referral to a gynecologist. I am worried about the pain, the cyst and the pelvic fluid :(

Thread Information