Thread: I am unsure if Citalopram will help me or make things worse. Advice please.

Question I am unsure if Citalopram will help me or make things worse. Advice please.

Hi. On Friday last week i was prescribed Citalopran (20mg) by my GP. I have been going through a tough time dealing with a breakup and everything that comes with it.
    Work has become unbearable and ive been struggling to cope.
    I havent actually taken any of the tablets yet because i have concearns about them making me feel worse or becoming dependant on them.
    I have a family history of depression and pretty much all my mothers side of my family are on and have been on anti depressants for as long as i can remember.
    I always thought i was stronger and never really thought id end up in the same boat, however i have smoked Marajuana for most of my adult life so i guess thats just as bad if not worse.
    I would like to hear from people who have similar experiences and if the Citlopram has helped. I really am worried about even starting the course altogether.
    Thanks
    Lee

Re: I am unsure if Citalopram will help me or make things worse. Advice please.

Hi Lee
    Please don't worry about Medication It's nothing to do with being stronger than others Just like you I have 5 Generations of Anxiety suffers in my family It doesn't bother me any more Just like I got bad eyesight from dads side of the family And I wear glasses I got a wonky brain from my mums side so what! I have taken Cit for over 7 years every strength from 10 mg-40mg If I'm honest and it's only my opinion and experience yes you will feel worse to begin with but you will feel better in the end It's hard cos you don't feel great and end up taking something to help that will make you feel even worse in the short term However in the LONGTERM they will make you feel like ur old self However not everyone will have these side effects you will probably be 1 of the lucky ones and sail throu it..! If you were epileptic would you be afraid of medication no The only thing is our minds shake not our body so take the meds to help the mind! Shout if I can help
    Take care
    Ken

The hard thing about these drugs is it is impossible to tell what will happen - you may have minimal to no side effects when starting, or you may have a tough time, the drug may work wonders for you or it may do nothing....the only way to know is to try (and this means giving it at least 2-3 months (unless, of course, you have some crazy side effects that means you have to get taken straight off!).

Different drugs affect everyone differently, and even effect the same person differently if they have gone off and then go on again!

But - certainly there is nothing to be afraid of, nor should there be any stigma attached to taking them. It may well be, based on your family history (which sounds like mine), there is a genetic component to your problems. If your body is not producing the right chemicals, it makes perfect sense to take something that will help it.

My advice would be to take it - start at 10mg (if you have 20mg pills just cut them in half) and give it a couple of weeks, then if you are doing ok go up to 20. You may well feel crappy for a bit, but just remember it is likely short term and you may end up in a much better place. It is worth trying!

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
    Hi. On Friday last week i was prescribed Citalopran (20mg) by my GP.
    I suggest only take 10mg for the first week to limit the severity of any side-effects, but get your GP's okay first. Also, despite the impression given by Dr Google, most do not experience severe side-effects. It is mostly the minority who do that come to support groups.

I always thought i was stronger and never really thought id end up in the same boat,
    Anxiety disorders and depression are disorders of the brain, the symptoms of an atrophy of the two hippocampal regions caused by chronically high brain stress hormone levels killing neurons and preventing the growth of new ones. Mentally toughness is no more likely to prevent this than it will diabetes.

however i have smoked Marajuana for most of my adult life so i guess thats just as bad if not worse.
    Smoking cannabis may have made you more susceptible, but equally, maybe you've really been using it to self-medicate the underlying disorder without realising it.

Thread Information