Thread: Getting teary really easily?

Getting teary really easily?

I don't know what is wrong with me. The other day was pretty bad for me, my depression really flared up and I felt awful. Since then i've been feeling a bit better, but the problem is that I just burst into tears at the drop of a hat. Things that may make me sad but no bring me to tears, such as certain thoughts or even a sad song are just too much for me and I can't hold the tears back. It's really embarrassing, I hate crying in front of people so I make sure to get myself under control before anyone comes into the room and sees that i'm upset. Does anyone have any experience with this?? How long did it last for you?

Re: Getting teary really easily?

I cry at the slightest things...even seeing someone else cry makes me cry even if I don't know why they are crying!

i get this from time to time ,i could be watching something on telly and it sets me off ,ive even stopped watching certain programes because i get upset, its like you said it could be a song a thought i seem to have periods of this, i can be okay for days then it will just come on, me,i suppose it depends on what mood we are in ,it makes me feel lonely aswell and sorry i dont no how long it lasts that must be down to how we feel about thingsxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for replying. I really hope it doesn't last much longer. I just feel like I could cry and never stop, so I try my best to hold it in.

I know exactly how you feel; this describes me perfectly. sometimes i'm ok for a few days then something triggers sad moments. Like you i try to hold it in but I am learning it needs to come out. the more you hold onto it, the worse it will get. there is nothing wrong with letting your emotions out. i know it's hard to do that. i find them very scary indeed. quite overwhelming in fact. but that doesnt mean anything is wrong. in fact it's very natural.
    like you, my depression flares up and I feel awful at times. it does feel embarrassing to experience this. i too hate crying in front of people. it feels almost too much. but as i say it is natural. I do the same thing & get myself under control before anyone comes into the room and sees that i'm upset. but actually underneath it all, what i really want is someone to come in & see me upset. to look after me.
    i dont know what's underlying it for you but in my case i've spent a lifetime seeking out mother figures. my mother's still alive but our relationship got worse over the years. so i find myself drawn to mother figures. my dream is to have a lovely mother holding me & comforting me so i can let the tears flow; feel safe & like i belong.
    i'm sure there are plenty of others who feel just like you do. it comes & goes i find. when i'm really emotional it feels like i am going to lose control & just get swallowed up by it all. all sorts of little things trigger it; often really nothing at all starts it off. then another day i'll just get up & things are ok. it's a bit of a roller coaster i suppose.
    If you are able to find someone you really trust and you have a "moment" you could try letting them see you are feeling sad. its hard i know but when i've tried that, people have been caring. it's important it's someone you really can trust. best not to seek things from peole who are not really able to give it.
    also, you could try experiencing this perhaps at home, somewhere you feel safe. imagine you are back in the situation that made you feel sad. go through how you felt. as you are in private & feel safe you can let your tears flow.
    i always feel a bit silly doing this but after years of keeping it all in, i find it does help reduce my anxious moments. but importantly if you are going to experience high levels of emotions by trying something like this you must be somewhere you feel safe & be in a situation that you are able to feel comfortable in.
    hope this helps....nice to "talk" about it from my point of view too.

Thank you very much for the reply Tessar. I know in reality it's okay to break down and show your feelings to friends, family etc, but I just feel so uncomfortable in doing so, I don't want to show my vulnerable side. There are a lot of underlying reasons for all of this: having a father who I haven't seen who I was 11 who doesn't give a damn about me, verbal and emotional abuse growing up, having a lot of trouble making friends and being tossed aside by the ones that I do. I just get these horrible feelings and memories that flood back into my mind every once in a while, I can't even escape it in my sleep as I have dreams about them at times. I wish they would just leave me alone.

Reading your post Chrissy, we sound very similar. I find showing feelings uncomfortable. Often I dont identify with feelings/memories of old immediately; then on reflection later after something happens, I realise why I react the way I do. If only there was way to make these things leave us alone; life would be much easier!
    The last few days I have been feeling better but just now at work something "silly" happened. It was just a remark a colleague made but this struck a nerve with me; she was sort of kidding but it triggered a huge wave of emotion. Obviously I dont want to look really silly in front of my colleagues so I need to find a way of chilling. I know this is just depression speaking & habits of old. I'll probably keep it all in til lunchtime & then escape somewhere private to "let it all out". I've learned that is necessary otherwise it just builds up.
    I wonder perhaps one day i'll have let out everything that needs to escape and then i'll be on a more even keel as it were.

Thread Information