Thread: Scared of drinking alcohol.............................

Scared of drinking alcohol.............................

This might sound silly but I get scared of drinking alcohol. It's not that I don't want to, it's more that I'm sure some thing will happen to me if I do.
    I'm not used to drinking any way but I'm convinced even 1 or 2 drinks will harm me :(
    I grew up with an alcoholic brother so I'm not sure if this is partly why I'm scared. I have drunk before but quite a few years ago now.
    Any way tonight I'm going to my friends house for her birthday and I would like to have 1 or 2 drinks but I'm convinced some thing will happen like I will get alcohol poisoning because my body isn't used to it, etc.
    Please help! xx

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Bump xx

Re: Scared of drinking alcohol.............................

Hey there, 1 or 2 drinks and you will be just fine! It takes alot of alcohol to get alcohol poisoning....hope your night goes well! Hope this helps...

Hey I don't like loss of controle, it goes with anxiety.

Start off drinking wine maybe, just take small sips over a few hours.
    Beer in particular makes me a wee bit dizzy.
    After the first drink you get a happy feeling called a buzz lol.
    Now I drink whiskey, it's my favorite drink with the least amount of side effects, I usually stick to 3 drinks or less, I notice after the 3rd drink I want to keep the buzz going and I start to crave more!
    when you first start drinking it's EVERY east to drink too much, so I would stick to beer or wine, and make it last, eat food and drink something with sugar to keep up your blood sugar and to stop hang overs.
    If you get tipsy, you may get dizzy lying in bed when you close your eyes, don't worry it's very normal.
    Don't let people push you into drinking more, I have not had a drink in a year and people get very pushy about trying to buy a drink, if you dont want to drink just ask for a coke or something
    if they buy you a drink, just take a sip, you don't have to finish it, my friends know no thank you means just that

just start off slow , drink slow and havve a few non alcoholic drinks in between x

I've also chosen to give up drinking alcohol due to the fear of "feeling out of control" as I struggle to stay in control at the best of times. Also I've heard that alcohol doesn't mix that well with sertraline and I'm just not prepared to take the risk of increased anxiety.

Haz. x

Thread Information