Thread: im gonna try and stop this!!

im gonna try and stop this!!

hi guys

im feeling very bad at the moment, worrying that i have something wrong with my tummy, its on and off pain not bad but there, i think im so body aware i would feel the slightest thing, anyway im sitting here googling and my little brother (11) who i have adopted came up behind me and said " leanne why r u always looking a panic stuff and illnesses" and thinking about it im bloody ruining my life, ive got so much good but cant see it most of the time, at the end of the day, so what ive got gallstones, its not the end of the world! but i cant see it i think anything illness is gonna be something so so terrible, feeling like this cant be any worse than actually haveing something wrong, anyway this will probably not make the slightest bit of difference in the morning but im gonna try and stop this obsessiveness, its not doing my kids any good and come 2 think of it my partner has had enough of it aswell. i just want my life back

leanne xxxx

i just wanna feel normal

hi leaanne i hope you are feeling a little better now!!!!the way in which we catastrophise everything is what makes us worse but like you said if you try to disempower these thoughts i bet it will work wonders!!!!!
    i too know how you feel about just wanting to enjoy life,i,m exactly the same i always worry about what effect it has on my children,but i don,t think they know as i do try to carry on as normal but its really hard some days!!!!
    take care
    rachel x x

Leanne I was like you about 22 years ago.I used to read medical books all the time,it all started with tummy pains.It was the worse thing I ever did.It took over my life and this is where all my anxiety problems started from.I really feel for you.I Stopped myself reading the books.But then we got a computer bad news!!!!!!!!!!
    I managed to stop myself googling its just not worth getting so ill over,why make my anxiety worse than it already is.You will end up thinking you have so many illnesses.I wish I could wave a magic wand a make you stop googling.you will get your life back.
    love

Ellen XX

Hi Leanne. I sympathise because I've done it too. But the best thing you can do for yourself is to stop googling for symptoms and stop looking at sites to do with illness.

Tummies are sooooo responsive to stress, so worrying about being ill will more than likely bring on some pain. With anxiety, the thing we need is reassurance, but those sites only bring more anxiety. And as you say, you are so body aware you are just more conscious of very slight sensations. When I think about it, I have lots of twinges, pangs, and sensations in my tummy over the course of the day..........so do most people but for some reason they are able to dismiss them. We need to learn to do the same thing.

Try giving your mind something else to dwell on.........I like reading about things to do with health rather than illness or symptoms. So I read books about Superfoods and Optimum Nutrition, that sort of thing. It reminds me that our bodies can work properly, as well as working badly, and gives me a more positive focus.

Good luck, I hope you do start to feel better.

Hi Leanne. I'm the same - it's terrible isn't it? I really must stop googling my symptoms as it's making me a nervous wreck. Only last week I convinced myself I had bladder cancer, now I'm looking up other cancers because I've had some tummy discomort too.

2 years ago my dad died of a cancer that was pretty much contributably to smoking and bad diet, however I found myself googling it because I was convinced I was going to get it too - it's madness and destroying.

I must stay off the internet. I must stay off the internet

Thread Information