Thread: Slipping down to... Where?

Unhappy Slipping down to... Where?

I had a booked phone call with someone from my local NHS mental health team yesterday who has put me on the list for 1-2-1 help with my problems. According to the questionnaire I filled out the night before on line I am suffering with depression more then anxiety, although the feelings I have are about 50/50.

I haven't eaten well for over a week now. I'm finally opening up a little to mum how I'm feeling, but not to the extent that I'm physically ill. I almost don't want to admit it to myself.

This is now. How am I going to cope if, say, I had a full time job instead of a part time one? I would like one but just looking gets my anxiety up. There are so meany little things that I am afraid of that I go out of my way to avoid my life is fixed ridged.

The feeling I have in me is scary. I am scared, not only of the things I am worrying about but of the feelings I am having.

I'm going to the doctors next Friday so I hope upon hope something is sorted out. Even if it means tapering of the Citalopram I've been on for over a decade and onto something else. As long as it doesn't make me fat or aggressive.

Re: Slipping down to... Where?

Hi Pete_uk,

There are definitely lots of things in life that may appear scary. We all have something we fear in life and one of the biggest one is the uncertainty of the future. We don't know what would happen if we try this and that. Regardless of how scared we are, we must find the courage in ourselves. I know it's not easy so it's best we take small steps to build up our confidence.

I suggest writing a journal for your eyes only. Write the things you are afraid of and read them out loud to yourself. Figure out why you are scared and then start figuring out how you can overcome it. I was once terrified of talking to strangers to the point I'd start crying. Yet, I did a month of door to door sales and I felt relieved. I learned then that we can overcome our fears if we are willing to tackle them head on.

I hope your visit to the doctors work out well! Meanwhile, work on your own bit by bit on facing your fears. There's nothing more relieving than facing your fear and realized that you can do the seemingly impossible!

If you have been on citalopram for that long then there is a good chance its not working maybe even adding to your depression. citalopram is a SSRI med so if your gp puts you on a different SSRI you can taper the new med the next day cutting out the withdrawal of a different type of med , there is sertraline, escitalopram, fluoxetine, paxil .

Hi Pete Yeah can relate to long term depression been med free for a long time now some days are worse than others though, Iam on a waiting list for therapy but it's been a long time, but will have to wait it out! As for getting work you are only young plenty of time for that don't rush in to anything get your self back on track and baby steps mate. Do tell your dr how you are feeling and see what they can offer and eventually try aiming for a med free life eventually. Iam firm believer this can happen when you have a good mindset good luck at the drs Cheers

Thread Information