Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In love with a video game character

Re: In love with a video game character

Your right I have a lot of anxieties and it’s very hard to deal with everyday and it’s been going on for years too. It’s hard I been to lots of therapists but they were only talk therapy I need cbt which my insurance doesn’t given me many choices. I even tried online therapy.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to find qualities of a fictional character attractive. Look at how crazy people went for Christian Grey a few years ago. But I do think that if you start to spend too much time and energy thinking about it then it’s time to start distinguishing between reality and fiction.
    So you could do things to start occupying your day in a more fruitful way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried today to not look him up and I already felt bored and missed him.

Well you would, keep finding other things to do that are a bit healthier for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try not to look so hard for a guy that is just like this character, find a guy that shares common interests that you have, I used to have this ideal guy in my head and judged every guy by my dream guy, I realized I was harming myself and missing out on a lot of chances, you know what as soon as I did, I met my husband, I was 31 when I met him and 40 when we got married, was he anything like my dream guy? Nope, but he was sweet,caring, made me laugh, btw my dream guy Westley from princess bride.

Ah, the character crush. I remember when Harry Potter was big, there were so many people, with crushes on all kinds of different characters in the books and movies.

You know what you do with a character crush? You put it to work, and write. Or draw, if that's your thing. Use it to create something, and you'll not only have fun with the subject, it will get you away from your anxiety for a while.

I wouldn't worry about finding a real life guy like this, you're probably wrapped up in this guy because you don't have a boyfriend right now. But when you do meet someone, you'll get over the fictional character crush. Fictional characters seem perfect, but they can't hold up their own end of the conversation!

She makes me go funny all over

No one will ever live up to our fantasises, that's why they are fantasises. But also, we don't live up to anyone else's either. Life is about compromise in many respects. There is no perfect and that only adds loads of pressure that sees you ending up stuck when you could be enjoying yourself finding out what there is out there.

I don't find it unusual that somebody would have intense feelings for a character in a video game. They're pretty convincing these days, rotoscoped and voice acted, and in some cases graphics are close to photo-realistic. It's not that different to having a crush on a TV or film character or a pop star.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information