Thread: Could use some reassurance

Could use some reassurance

My health anxiety has been awful lately. It feels like every time I get over one fear, a new one arrives in full force.

I was making dinner earlier and I microwaved some mashed potatoes, let them cool briefly and then took a bite. It was pretty hot and I don’t know why but I mindlessly swallowed them instead of spitting them out. It wasn’t scorching hot but it felt like it slowly moved down my esophagus and I could feel it the entire time. I drank a glass of water immediately after and checked the roof of my mouth and throat about 30 minutes afterward. There’s a minor blister on the roof of my mouth but otherwise nothing I can see in my actual mouth. What seems to bother me most is my throat feels a bit scratchy and swollen/tight. It seems one sided and towards the lower part of my throat where I can’t see it. I can breathe and swallow but worried the feeling will progress overnight.

Has anybody else here done this? I feel so stupid.

Re: Could use some reassurance

I've done this a few times in the past. Swallowed something way too hot instead of just spitting it out. Whenever I've done it I can feel it burning my mouth and then it's like a ball of fire going down my throat and oesophecus. I'd have a drink of water as quickly as I could but will always be left with some sort of a burning pain somewhere in my mouth or throat. It will pass soon enough, but those feelings you have sound completely normal to me after eating something very hot. Hope you feel better soon

Re: Could use some reassurance

Thank you so much for your reply. I just wanted to follow up and say I did recover fully without any issues. Honestly, I had almost forgotten about it by the next day or so. My throat was a little scratchy but that was all. I think it was my anxiety and that initially made my throat feel tight. Thank you again for your reassurance.

Thread Information