Thread: Food stuck in throat

Food stuck in throat

Was eating a very hard toffee apple earlier, one with about 3 layers of hard candy covering the apple, ended up throwing at away as it was way too hard.

However it definitely felt like some got stuck in my throat or serously irritated it on the way down. Swallowed some water and it only went down one side, felt like one side of the throat was blocked. So I've drank loads of water, gargled with salt water and sucked on sugar cubes to induce saliva. My breath ended up tasting liek tonsil stones which I assume is the saliva trying to break down the food, suppose I need some reassurance that it won't fall down my windpipe when I'm asleep and the like

And does anyone have nay tips on how to get it away

I've had both globus and reflux related throat pains before but this is definitely different.
    "You are trying to do all the right things, just don't "battle" it out. Try and carry on with normal day to day things and don't shrink from your anxiety. Remember that's it's acceptance that brings recovery. If you've been in a bad place for so long then old habits die hard, but they do die."

Re: Food stuck in throat

The candy will dissolve no problem. Probably a shard of it has scratched the lining of your throat. No harm will come to you. It'll have gone by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chem View Post
    The candy will dissolve no problem. Probably a shard of it has scratched the lining of your throat. No harm will come to you. It'll have gone by tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.
    "You are trying to do all the right things, just don't "battle" it out. Try and carry on with normal day to day things and don't shrink from your anxiety. Remember that's it's acceptance that brings recovery. If you've been in a bad place for so long then old habits die hard, but they do die."

Hay I'm new here & I had food stuck in my throat many times but it's getting more serious. I swallowed a very chewy minced beef from a meat pie I had about 3 months ago & it's still sticking deep in my throat! I tried drinking a lot of boiled water & some hot tea. I went for a barium swallow X-Ray scan but they said the object was as small as a bolus or pill so they don't think there's anything serious with my throat & the GP agreed, he thinks it should slide down after a while. The problem is it's still in my throat & it's getting too long! I never had anything in my throat for that long before, I experienced a small fish bone in my throat before but even that went down in just a few weeks. It puts me off eating fish & now I think I don't want a meat pie anymore, especially beef lol! The longer the piece of mince stays, the more I panic. I will have to celebrate if my throat ever clears up again.

Thread Information