Thread: Therapy methods other than CBT?

Therapy methods other than CBT?

I've been doing cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety with this therapist for 4-5 weeks now, and I try to do everything she suggest and keep an open mind. But I don't think it's helpful. I know it takes time, but everything she wants me to do other than mindfulness meditation are things I already did as a first resort for my anxiety, and have for most of my life. I've already learned these things from when I was a kid and in therapy for depression. I tried to tell myself that it's going to be different, because I'm going through this as an adult instead of an uncooperative child being ruined further emotionally by SSRIs, but it's not true. I always try these ways of thinking and analysing. As an adult. I've been doing them since before I started with this therapist, so I must have been trying to use these for over ten years already.

The mindfulness meditation hasn't been helpful either and has been its own problem. Most times I can't focus on it to begin with. My mind wanders, but I never realize to bring it back to the meditation until I've spent hours doing something else. When I can focus on it I become extremely uncomfortable emotionally despite everything. I had a panic attack from this once. It made me think, "trying to stop outside of you feelings and observing them as they happen, isn't this enfrocing the separation between what you KNOW and what you FEEL?" This is why I have problems in the first place. Because what I know and what I feel are not able to communicate with each other, so I can't convince the part of me that feels anxious that it's going to be alright even when I know it really will be.

Does anyone have any experiences or information on other types of therapy besides CBT?

Re: Therapy methods other than CBT?

I have found yoga extremely helpful for my anxiety ... sometimes when we are too "in our own heads" focusing on the body and body sensations helps. Also emdr - originally for trauma - can be used for anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by 音楽 View Post
    The mindfulness meditation hasn't been helpful either and has been its own problem. Most times I can't focus on it to begin with. My mind wanders, but I never realize to bring it back to the meditation until I've spent hours doing something else. When I can focus on it I become extremely uncomfortable emotionally despite everything. I had a panic attack from this once. It made me think, "trying to stop outside of you feelings and observing them as they happen, isn't this enfrocing the separation between what you KNOW and what you FEEL?" This is why I have problems in the first place. Because what I know and what I feel are not able to communicate with each other, so I can't convince the part of me that feels anxious that it's going to be alright even when I know it really will be.
    When I started with Mindfulness it made my anxiety worse, my anxiety was already focussed on physical symptoms so more breathing focus seemed the worst thing to do. I had the same issues with any relaxation exercise too. It takes a bit of practice to get past that as it can be an exposure of it's own.

It made me think, "trying to stop outside of you feelings and observing them as they happen, isn't this enfrocing the separation between what you KNOW and what you FEEL?"

Why? All you are learning is to act as an observer and not get involved with the thoughts & feelings in order to prevent you reinforcing that anxiety/panic by adding to it. That's not separation, it's just taking a view from a position outside of it rather than inside of it.

The mind will wander, it's supposed to. In meditation form you can steer it back by how you start off the meditation e.g. mine would start with 3 breathing exercises so if I couldn't focus on the observing part, I would repeat those to allow me to re-focus.

I'm not sure what you mean by hours. Meditation is normally pretty short. Are you sure you are not trying to do endless long hours of Mindfulness? I could see that taking quite some learning.

I've recently finished CAT therapy. Didn't help much but could help others. It helps to get to the root of your problems whereas cbt is more in the here and now which I found frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    When I started with Mindfulness it made my anxiety worse, my anxiety was already focussed on physical symptoms so more breathing focus seemed the worst thing to do. I had the same issues with any relaxation exercise too. It takes a bit of practice to get past that as it can be an exposure of it's own.

It made me think, "trying to stop outside of you feelings and observing them as they happen, isn't this enfrocing the separation between what you KNOW and what you FEEL?"

Why? All you are learning is to act as an observer and not get involved with the thoughts & feelings in order to prevent you reinforcing that anxiety/panic by adding to it. That's not separation, it's just taking a view from a position outside of it rather than inside of it.

The mind will wander, it's supposed to. In meditation form you can steer it back by how you start off the meditation e.g. mine would start with 3 breathing exercises so if I couldn't focus on the observing part, I would repeat those to allow me to re-focus.

I'm not sure what you mean by hours. Meditation is normally pretty short. Are you sure you are not trying to do endless long hours of Mindfulness? I could see that taking quite some learning.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a problem with Mindfulness. Hopefully I can get past it and have it become helpful too. My problem with mind wandering is that when it does, I forget I was even supposed to be meditating and do something else (read, music, etc.) for hours before I remember that meditation even exists and that I was supposed to have been doing it. I'm sorry if my post didn't make sense.

Thanks to everyone else too for the ideas. I will look into yoga, EMDR, and CAT therapy.

This might help a bit. Mindfulness does not necessarily have to be meditation. Mindfulness is different than mindfulness meditation. I know that sounds confusing. You can practice being mindful without meditating.

Mindfulness is being present and aware in the moment non-judgmentally. AKA being focused on what you are doing in the moment. This can be anything - not just meditation. It can be focusing on the nitty gritty details of washing dishes, taking a shower, etc. Some people go through the 5 senses: what do you see, hear, feel, smell, taste? How does the water feel on your hands (if washing dishes), what temperature is it? If your mind wanders, that's ok you just turn it back to the task at hand. The most important part is the non-judgment piece. So don't get upset with yourself if your mind wanders. That's normal, it happens to even the best practitioners of mindfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by flipp View Post
    I had emdr for around six months,found it to be very helpful for me..
    I think EMDR sounds really interesting. I know practitioners here in England don't rate it much because its supposedly not rooted in science. I didn't find CBT particularly helpful so always keen to try something new.

Can i ask what this helped you with and what the sessions involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Massive worrier View Post
    I think EMDR sounds really interesting. I know practitioners here in England don't rate it much because its supposedly not rooted in science. I didn't find CBT particularly helpful so always keen to try something new.

Can i ask what this helped you with and what the sessions involved.
    It's interesting you say that, as here in the USA it has tons of support as being evidence-based (aka supported by research as being effective).

This is a great site to give you information about it:

https://www.emdr.com/frequent-questions/

Thread Information