Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no - now I have to have a Sigmoidoscopy!!

Oh no - now I have to have a Sigmoidoscopy!!

I was replying to a thread the other day about this procedure and a colonoscopy and sympathised cos I wouldn't want to have one!

Well I spoke too soon cos now I do

I went to see a consultant last night as I have had persistent piles and bleeding and expected him to just inject them and send me on my way.

Instead I had a biopsy done, the piles injected, a camera into the lower part of the colon and now told I need a Sigmoidoscopy as my colon is very inflammed and needs further investigation.

I have had diarrhea for as long as I can remember and rarely have solid movements but it has always been put down to anxiety and possibly IBS.

Now they tell me that the inflammed colon is the cause of the diarrhea and needs looking at.

I am very worried as anyone would be and I wouldn't say I particularly suffer with HA but now I am beginning to get scared about the procedure as I want to have it without sedation as anything like that freaks me out big time!

Last night was quite painful and I was sore afterwards and had a bit of a sore stomach today so I am not sure how I will be without sedation but have to give it a go.

I also need to eat or I feel rubbish and giving me an enema will mean I will be running on empty so worried that I will feel crap then as well!

I also want to wait until Alex can drive again so he can take me in case I do need sedation.

I know loads have had it and survived but I just want to say that I am not invincible and I too suffer the anxiety and what ifs and uncertainty that is ahead.

Sorry for moaning - just wanted to write this down and I can update in a few weeks with any news.

Thanks for reading.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Oh no - now I have to have a Sigmoidoscopy!!

Hi There
    Good luck for your test ive not had it done myself but just wanted to wish you luck.
    Take care
    Annexx

Nic

I have never had one of these either, but just wanted to send you a hug and hope things will get sorted for you soon my friend

love and hugs

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Sorry I assumed you were all doctors

Thanks Anne and Andy (cheers for calming me down last night when I was in tears)

It is this ...

Flexible sigmoidoscopy enables the physician to look at the inside of the large intestine from the rectum through the last part of the colon, called the sigmoid or descending colon. Physicians may use the procedure to find the cause of diarrhea, abdominal pain, or constipation.

They also use it to look for benign and malignant polyps, as well as early signs of cancer in the descending colon and rectum. With flexible sigmoidoscopy, the physician can see intestinal bleeding, inflammation, abnormal growths, and ulcers in the descending colon and rectum.

Flexible sigmoidoscopy is not sufficient to detect polyps or cancer in the ascending or transverse colon (two-thirds of the colon). However, although in absolute terms only a relatively small section of the large intestine can be examined using sigmoidoscopy, the sites which can be observed represent areas which are affected by diseases such as colorectal cancer most regularly, eg. the rectum.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I know you say you don't want to have sedation but from one who had this proceedure done back in March all I can say is you will wish you had asked for sedation believe me!! I have severe spinal problems so am used to being in constant pain but I can honestly say that the pain of childbirth was comparable with the pain I experienced during the sigmoidoscopy- although it didn't last as long!
    Plus if your colon is already inflamed my eyes water at the thought of how it might be for you. My colon was totally normal and yet I experienced excessive pain.
    I had sedation for an endoscopy 2 years ago and it was a doddle and the sedation wears off really quickly as well.
    I am having to have a colonsocopy just so they can diagnose IBS in new year and boy do I want the sedation.

Hi Nic

First of all

I had to be sedated for an endoscopy(camera down throat) and i was dreading it but I have to say it was ok!!!

I was fully aware of what was going on just very relaxed not at all out of it!!!

I know it wont stop you worrying but you will be fine I promise

Luv to You and Alex

Kaz x x x

Thanks countrygirl

I think I can tolerate quite a bit of pain - I have fillings without injections so am used to suffering for 15 minutes in total pain. Last time they had to give me the numbing injection I went as white as a sheet apparently and felt so ill.

I just think the sedation will freak me more - so I weigh up pain over panic I guess

Cheers Kazzie - I may change my mind on the day lol!

The consultant was ok about it and I explained I had panic so he understood it would freak me. I can always change my mind I am sure as it is done under private so they are being paid loads for it!!!

Oh this will make you laugh - I took the private prescription for suppositories that I need to the chemist and they told me it would be £124!!!!!!

So I promptly went to the docs and said can they convert it to an NHS one lol!

Good God Nic......

Seems a bit steep!!!!!

Honestly mate the sedation was cool hardly knew they had done it, very subtle, just made me relax.......bit like a big glass of wine on a weekend does!!!!

Im like you tho hate thought of being out of control etc but it was cool!!!

Im sure you will be fine whatever you decide

Luv Kaz x x x

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information