Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: First week of Citalopram

Re: First week of Citalopram

Day 12, Friday. Enjoying a nice bowl of milky porridge with a bit of honey for a little taste, it's a sunny morning and things seem ok. I have a very low level of anxiety but it's manageable, more just a slight bit of apprehension mixed with anticipation, not that horrible all consuming horror show that was wrecking me last week.

It was last Friday when I had the bad panic attack that completely freaked me out for about an hour afterwards. I'd had the low level anxiety running through me for a few weeks before that and I'd had a very minor panic attack, more of an elevation of the anxiety, just the week before. That took me to the doctors and onto some medication to help sort it. I knew the Citalopram would possibly increase my anxiety but when I was hit by that panic attack it scared the hell out of me.

I'm now hoping I can leave last week behind like a bad dream, never to have to go through that again, at least not if I can help it anyway. Onwards and upwards is what I hope for now

As Springsteen said, these are better days, so better days to everyone out there.

Saturday, day 13. My anxiety and depression were a little in evidence this morning when I woke up, nothing too strong but I could feel them creeping around the edges and I was able to tell them to push off, though they're still lurking in the corner somewhere.

This is probably cos I didn't follow the sleeping pattern I have started to follow, settling down to sleep around midnight for a few good hours sleep. I ended up staying up way past midnight since it's the weekend. I started watching a film flaked out in bed and felt a bit tired but then got past being tired and ended up finally getting to sleep about 3am. I think part of me wanted to see if I would be awake around 6 or if I could sleep past that. One of the little pleasures I've enjoyed this week is being able to roll over and go back to sleep for an hour or so when I woke quite early in the morning.

I woke up around 7am or thereabouts then, without really thinking about it, must have drifted off for another hour or so as I then woke up sometime around 8 - 8.30, which was a pleasant surprise. But the anxiety did make itself known when I was rousing from sleep and chances are it's down to me not getting to sleep early enough.

It may also be because it's the weekend and for the past couple of weeks, Saturday and Sunday haven't been the most pleasant of days for me. Last weekend I was mostly sat around trying to keep cool and feeling really washed out, the weekend before I was just desperate for help and reassurance, as you are when experiencing anxiety.

Not much I need to do today so I can try and relax a bit. I have some info to put together for the bank holiday beatles show I'll be participating in on Monday, but I can put that together over the next day or two. I have to go over to another of the volunteer's houses tomorrow so we can edit some interviews we did in the park on Monday, but that's really it for my weekend. It sounds action packed doesn't it

One of the guys that works at the community radio station is turning out to be a bit of a dick, his attitude is if he doesn't agree with what you say or what music you like, etc, then you're wrong and he just starts calling it crap like a spoilt 5 year old. Myself and Stu, who was with me in the studio yesterday covering for the regular DJ, had to put up with him acting a bit weird and somewhat childish and that's not helped my mood. Some people make you brood about their inconsiderate actions.

Generally feeling fine, so will keep on keeping on, which is all you can do in the end. Better days for everyone out there.

Smiles for you sugar. Hope your tucked up to get your 40 winks! x

Hi Lou,
    Actually I was, I flaked out in bed to watch some CSI on TV and around 11.30 thought I'd settle down to sleep and was out like a light til about 7am this morning, so a good nights sleep.

I did feel the anxiety nudging it's way in when I was waking up, that wave of tension starting to wash through me but I knew the sign and was able to tell it to push off again, a vast improvement over the past few weekends where it's got it's hooks deep into me and kept them there right through the day. I still feel it bubble under when I start thinking about applying for jobs and my depression wanders through telling me that I'm not getting any responses to the applications I've made because they think my CV isn't good enough, blah blah blah.

Still, shouldn't complain really consider that it's Sunday and only day 14, some of you folks go much longer before you feel much improvement so hats off to you for lasting with your anxiety for that long, I'm just relieved that I felt the improvement after the first week.

I actually spent most of yesterday sat around the house working on stuff for the Beatles show on Monday and chatting to a couple of people like Lou and SaltyDawg, just passing the time and giving Salty a bit of reassurance since he's having a rough first week on the Citralopram, poor guy. Give him a little help with a kind comment if you drop by his diary post he put up this morning, he needs it this week.

I put my hat on yesterday and enjoyed a bit of a walk in the light rain that was coming down, it was quite refreshing in a way after the heat of last weekend. Sometimes it's the little things that make you feel happy, it's such a shame the world is so obsessed with money and things that really don't matter so much in the long run. The fast pace of life and all the paperwork we feel we need just makes me want to go back to simpler times without all the stuff we think is important these days.

Anybody else get that?

Yes, early days hun and look how far you have come in 2 weeks, think where you could be in another 2 - sorry it's only short, parents arrive from Canada today and was mums bday this week so frantically making stuff for a little party before we go to the airport! x

I'm feeling a bit tempted to take a propanolol today to take off the slight edge of tension. I've been taking one each morning all this week and decided not to yesterday so I didn't feel dependent on them and I would know if the Cit was working well enough, but I think I may take one just for today and see how it goes, my shoulders are aching from the tension that I've had over the past few weeks and I've got that buzz of anxiety, nothing major but I really just want to relax today.

Hope everything goes fine picking the parents up from the airport, you told me about the hassles you'd be having with that today, so hopefully it will all go smoothly for you.

Hi this is my first time on here and I have just taken my first Citalopram 20mg, I have a phobia about vomiting so I am bricking it as I have read that so many people get sick taking it, I'll probably worry myself into it anyway, I'm loathed to take anything at all but sometimes you just have to go with it. It all sounds pretty horrendous and from what I have read I can quite understand now why the Doctor signed me off work for 2 weeks, have to say I am not looking forward to the coming week.

Hi Sadie,
    I wouldn't worry about the vomiting too much, you may have a few tummy problems but I've not had anything like that, just a bit too much acid from the anxiety really, and you can ease that with some milk or Rennie.

Welcome to NMP anyway, you might try starting your own daily diary thread like mine. It helps to get things out, like how you feel and the symptoms you're having and others can offere advice and encouragement to help you get through it. Plus it's good to read back as you progress and see how you have progressed since those first weeks, others may find it useful, as you've hopefully found mine a bit of use.

And don't be afraid to have a good old moan about things, venting helps you feel a bit better and feeling like you aren't the only one going through this can give you the strength you need to get through. The first few weeks may not be easy, everybody is different, some barely see any side effects while others have them for a while before the Cit starts really getting to work and calming things down. Take heart and have a read of PsychoPoet's Citalopram Survival Guide, it helps lots of people realise that they can make it through when the going gets tough.

There are plenty of us here to help you out and anyone else who is feeling worried about taking this medication, so keep posting and you'll get to know some of us and feel like you're getting there.

Thanks for your advice raindog, I appreciate it and it's good to know that others have been there and done it, though to me it all sounds a bit scary, I took my first pill this morning at 1030 and so far I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary not sure how long it will be before I start to experience some of the side efforts or maybe none who knows, if I wasn't keeping myself occupied I would probably be imagining all sorts of things.
    I have already been experiencing slight nausea at times, ringing in my ears, dizziness and light headedness, impaired vision and extreme tiredness so may not notice a difference with the pills.
    Take care

I've started to get itchy lumps come up on my arms and legs, they're like insect bites, I don't have a cat or dog so it can't be flea's and I haven't been out of the house today; has anyone else had this happen or is it just a coincidence ?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information