Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Re: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

I don't think I could afford to go privately. I get sick of all the politics and the jumping through hoops you have to do on the NHS. I had to go through psychiatric services because I was tired of the GPs prescribing the standard SSRI's that have proved ineffective in the past. I would never have been told about pregabalin if I hadn't, you can be certain of that. But to do that I had to be discharged by the Mental Health team, which meant I could not receive CBT or counselling (which I wasn't getting anyway).

Now, if the GP decides for whatever reason (most likely financial) that I shouldn't be given an SSRI as well as pregabalin, I would have no choice but to go back to psychiatric services in order to get the prescription I needed - thereby discharging myself from the Mental Health team and give up any counselling or talking therapy I might be having. So perhaps just as well I'm not getting any, (though I clearly need some).

It's all designed to put you off getting the treatment you need and that I have paid my taxes for all these years with so little return. But I'm wise to their games now and i won't let them deter me.

Sorry for the rant!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the NHS and we should be proud of it in this country. I feel very sorry for our American friends and the terrible medicare system they have over there. You just got to fight for rights here.

Quote Originally Posted by robinbrum View Post
    I don't think I could afford to go privately. I get sick of all the politics and the jumping through hoops you have to do on the NHS. I had to go through psychiatric services because I was tired of the GPs prescribing the standard SSRI's that have proved ineffective in the past. I would never have been told about pregabalin if I hadn't, you can be certain of that. But to do that I had to be discharged by the Mental Health team, which meant I could not receive CBT or counselling (which I wasn't getting anyway).

Now, if the GP decides for whatever reason (most likely financial) that I shouldn't be given an SSRI as well as pregabalin, I would have no choice but to go back to psychiatric services in order to get the prescription I needed - thereby discharging myself from the Mental Health team and give up any counselling or talking therapy I might be having. So perhaps just as well I'm not getting any, (though I clearly need some).

It's all designed to put you off getting the treatment you need and that I have paid my taxes for all these years with so little return. But I'm wise to their games now and i won't let them deter me.

Sorry for the rant!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the NHS and we should be proud of it in this country. I feel very sorry for our American friends and the terrible medicare system they have over there. You just got to fight for rights here.
    I agree with your post. The NHS trainee psych wouldn't prescribe me anything. I still think it is because I was asking for pregabalin and therefore she was thinking of cost.

Hi,

I was offered the duloxetine by my GP,as I had no good response from SSRIs and the cheaper SRNI veneflaxine(not sure on spelling sorry) is not recommended if you have high blood pressure.

I asked for the pregabalin after doing extensive research on the internet.My doctor wasn't familiar with it,but was happy for my input,and after a few clicks on the computer to find out dosage etc, he prescribed it to me with no problem.

It just shows that different doctors and different health authorities work in different ways. I suppose I have been very lucky to have such a good doctor,who is prepared to work outside of the box!!

Loreen x

Quote Originally Posted by loreen View Post
    Hi,

I was offered the duloxetine by my GP,as I had no good response from SSRIs and the cheaper SRNI veneflaxine(not sure on spelling sorry) is not recommended if you have high blood pressure.

I asked for the pregabalin after doing extensive research on the internet.My doctor wasn't familiar with it,but was happy for my input,and after a few clicks on the computer to find out dosage etc, he prescribed it to me with no problem.

It just shows that different doctors and different health authorities work in different ways. I suppose I have been very lucky to have such a good doctor,who is prepared to work outside of the box!!

Loreen x
    Yep, indeed it does. Would you say the duloxetine has helped a lot ? I really want to try it, the prospect of suffering from the side effects of this drug puts me off though.

The duloxetine has worked very well.
    I wasn't expecting it to work, as no other meds had done anything positive for me. It took just 2 weeks to kick in,and the side effects for me were almost none existant.
    A dry mouth for a few weeks,and a bit tired during the afternoon,but nothing which interupted my day.
    Maybe I was just lucky,but the biggest effect for me was to feel human again!!

Loreen x

That's kind of encouraging because you have experienced some of the same problems I have in the past (by the way, venlafaxine was no good for me though there are others who have found it to be very useful).

I will definitely be asking my GP about duloxetine next week because it's clear that my "condition" can not be treated by pregabalin alone.

Quote Originally Posted by robinbrum View Post
    That's kind of encouraging because you have experienced some of the same problems I have in the past (by the way, venlafaxine was no good for me though there are others who have found it to be very useful).

I will definitely be asking my GP about duloxetine next week because it's clear that my "condition" can not be treated by pregabalin alone.
    I feel I am probably in the same category as you. I have a p doc appointment next friday. Loreen sorry if you have posted this but what dose are you on of the pregab and duloxetine ?

Hi Dan

I am on 3oomg of pregabalin(100mg 3 times a day)

60mg of duloxetine once a day(taken at night)

Loreen x

Thanks Loreen,

I am taking 2X 150mg, so I might try and get 3x100mg. For the first week or so after increasing the dose, I felt so much better but then after a week or so, it seems to go downhill. Maybe I am building a tolerance? Anyone else find the same.

Sounds like you might benefit from an increase Dan, rather than changing the times that you take the pregabalin. Anyway, keep your options open, like I am doing.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information