Thread: Fear of Dying

Fear of Dying

Hello,

I'm Lisa. I am new to this site, and am glad there is a support system with people who understand what I am going through. Within the last year or so (maybe longer, time flies), I have developed a terrible fear of dying. I mostly fear dying suddenly, without warning, but also fear dying when I am old of natural causes. Just the thought of my soul leaving my body terrifies me. I will be gone. No more THIS. No more ME. When I think of dying suddenly, the idea of my conscious knowing that I am dying and not being able to stop death cripples me. The thought of NOT knowing that I have passed scares me too. I know, if I don't know, what difference does it make, right? But it scares me and I do not know what to do or how to cope, besides seek some professional help. It is affecting my daily life. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to make these ideas stop? Or at least seem less painful? Please advise. I greatly appreciate any help!

Re: Fear of Dying

Hi and

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see "similar threads" which may help

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Fear of Dying

Hello Lisa,

I have the same exact anxiety. I am not sure how to cope with it but this website has provided me with so much comfort. I just posted a thread about this. I am not so afraid of dying I am just afraid of when. I plan on getting a therapist involved and maybe that might bring some relief. I hope that you fine a way to cope too.

Thread Information