Thread: Panic at work

Panic at work

Hey folks,

It’s been a while since I’ve had a full on panic attack where you think for sure you’re having a heart attack. Anyway, I got up from my desk to get a tissue and all of a sudden I felt this pressure in my chest and had a brief moment where I felt it hard to breath. Then I got this cool flush throughout my chest and extremities.

So for sure I thought, heart attack - it’s been on my mind because I did first aid training yesterday (gee, do you think this helped my attack, hearing about all the different things that can go wrong with someone for 8 hours?). Anyway, I guess I’m just surprised it happened because it’s been so long - I hate how it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been anxious for it always blindsides you. But I digress.

I did a cbt thought record and it helped very slightly. I’m still feeling like I’m just on the edge of a full blown panic attack. I’m trying to watch my breathing and just reassure and be kind to myself. Then I remembered I like messaging on here for support when I’m having trouble - community support is very much appreciated. Does anyone else get these brief tightnesses in their chest, feeling foggy or woozy, weak and overall doomed when they have a panic attack? Also I guess a bit of tunnel vision too, like your ears are becoming a bit blocked?

Thanks, I wish you all the best
    S

Re: Panic at work

Hey there. Everything you described, I have experienced. The heart issues are special to me as most of my panic attacks lead to me feeling like I'm having heart issues. But yes, the heavy chest feeling, tunnel vision, arm tingling, chest pounding. It's not just you. It's the anxiety monster again. Fear not. I'm going through the same thing. I developed bacterial bronchitis and then found out my son has the flu, strain b. I've Read an awful lot this past month on the flu, so now that I'm taking tamiflu and an antibiotic I of course feel like I will drop dead at any moment like the other people who succumbed to the flu. The Mind is very powerful in scaring us!

Re: Panic at work

omg scooter, I had my first attack yesterday for the first time in ages. Felt almost like that. I first became irritable and angry (things going on at work), then my chest felt tight, breathing was off, voice was off, adams apple area felt hard as a rock, I started crying really bad. I had to leave work fast and was crying all night. Today I drank some ginger tea and it brought my mood up a little ill say.

Thread Information