Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Tattoo

Getting a Tattoo

Im not so worried about the tattoo itself. I havent booked it yet either but really want one.

All im worried about is, will I be ill from the ink?

Funny question I know, But I feel that after ive had it, if i ever get ill, Ill feel its becuase of the ink in my skin.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting ill from their tattoo before? I dont mean infection kind of ill, Ill be going to a respectable place.

Especially if my tattoo was on my wrist above my veins, Ive got it into my head that the ink will be in my blood and poison me making me be sick etc.

Any reassurance out there?

Thanks
    Last edited by sMINT; 29-07-09 at 21:38. Reason: spelling

Re: Getting a Tattoo

Personally I don't think it is a good idea as like you said every time you get ill you will say you are being poisoned by ink and won't that just add to your existing health worries?

I would not do it until you are more able to deal with it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I don't think the ink can actually poison you, but some people (very few!) have allergic reactions to it (red is the most common colour to be allergic to) and as it's then under your skin, there's nothing you can do about it except put up with it and it's apparently very painful. But even if you get it right above the veins on your wrist the needles don't go anywhere near that deep.
    When I got mine I worried about infection through the whole healing period despite going to a clean, reputable place, and I've put off getting another one till I feel a little better about the HA. If you've already got it into your head that the ink will make you ill, maybe it's better to wait and see if you can make yourself feel better about that before doing it...

I have two tattoo's my most recent one took 6 hours to complete, and i had a 4 hour session for the first part of it. You may feel a bit shakey and spaced out afterwards but its the adrenaline pumping around ur body and slight tiredness from coping with the pain.

Dont worry about it getting infected and follow any advise the tattooist gives you about keeping it clean and helping it heal.

Wash the tattoo about 3 hours after its finished and apply disinfectent cream to it, the tattooist will recommend ones to use or possibly have one he can supply you with. But for example any baby nappy rash cream is the best thing to use, E45 or Bepanthen(i recommend this one) bepanthen is easier to spread and rub into sensitive area's.

after the first day just wash it twice a day for a week and make u apply the cream. You will be fine. Id recommend the experience to anyone, it doesnt hurt that much and once you relax into its really easy!

eh, i have pretty bad HA and i got a tattoo on the inside of my wrist. i worried about it for a day or two and then i got over it. the dude who did mine had so many tattoos on his skin i didn't know if he was black or white. i figured he was OK so what was one little thing on my wrist. it's been fine.

LIVE YOUR LIFE i say. doooooooooo it.
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

oh yeah and - it didn't really hurt at all. i thought the area i was doing it would be super painful but it was non-bananas.
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't have any tattoos as I think they look a bit iffy on women. I saw someone the other week who must have had one on her upper arm years ago and her skin had sagged and the tattoo had become quite defaced and looked quite stupid.

I am sure if there was a problem with the ink the tattooist would have experienced problems themselves.

What is the tattoo going to be of?

These slim women seem to carry a small tattoo well but I don't think they would look good on me http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/top100_women_tattoos.htm
    Last edited by Trixie; 30-07-09 at 06:50.

i'm fairly heavily tattooed (for a girl :P) & i've never worried about the ink. if you really want one, can sit through the pain (and yes it hurts, but different people have different pain thresholds & different body areas have different levels for pain too), then you should be fine. whenever i have more ink i have a panicky couple of days being paranoid about infection (you know how it goes) but the ink itself? i've seen so many people with bodysuits / sleeves / socks / back pieces / full upper bodies etc that if there was an issue with ink making you sick we'd have heard & been warned about it years ago

hi , i work in a tattoo studio and you will be fine i promise , its very rare to be llergic to ink!!!! more people are allergic to the chemical that is in black hair dye which they use to colour red henna black , you will be fine , do it!!!

Hi
    I have 2 tattoos, 1 rose on my upper arm which i had done about 16yrs ago, and another around my ankle, which i had done last yr.
    I have never had any problems with mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information