Thread: Convinced myself Im dying after smear test

Convinced myself Im dying after smear test

Hi Everyone

I havent posted here in three years! Ive been doing quite well. Dont get me wrong I still have Anxiety but for the most part I can calm myself and just tell myself (most of the time) that most of the things Im feeling is down to anxiety. As I said I havent posted here for three years, and what did I post about three years ago? My smear test. Here I am again posting about the same things as I have just had my 3 yearly routine smear. To be honest I have been waiting for the smear invite letter for months now, dreading getting home to check the post to see if it had arrived! I got myself worked up before the letter even came :( I was going to wait until I came back from holiday (going in couple of days) but Id already convinced myself of the worst before I even had the test so thought I would get it over with. I thought I cant feel any worse than I do right now...WRONG! I feel terrible, my hands are shaking while im typing this. Its going to be a few weeks until I get my results and I dont know how Im going to cope. I am so scared. this is what happen the last time I had my smear. The last one came back normal so now Im convinced this one wont. Im sat in work and all I want to do is cry, i feel sick and cant focus on anything else.

Re: Convinced myself Im dying after smear test

Hi annie, is there a way you can ask for a fast-track result you think? It might be possible if you tell your doctor how badly it is affecting you. Most women worry about their smear/mamogram tests but only a small few would be so anxious that it makes them ill, so it might be worth asking. Just a thought. I'm sure you're in the clear though to be honest if your results were ok 3 years ago...if anything was wrong with cervix or womb etc, you'd have unusual symptoms.

ISB x

Im kind of worried about the same thing...

Im only 23 so I can't have a smear until im 25.... thats two years away, the doctors around here will not give smears to anyone under 25..

Im worried that by the time im 25 amd have my smear that it would be caught too late?

I can imagine havimg it dome and waiting the few weeks for results and beimg a complete mess...

Bingjam you have my sympathies, especially with all the scare stories around, and I'm sure I read somewhere that they are campaigning to bring the age down for this...as they should really.

ISB x

Thanks for your replies. I wish I could fast track the results but cant :( I live in Wales and the nurse said the wait time at the mo is between 4-6 weeks!! I honestly dont know how Im going to hold it together. Im not a fan of having the test (who is) but the test itself is a breeze, over so quick. Its the waiting for the results that are sending me into total panic mode. Bingjam, Im sorry you cant have the test yet. Hope they do eventually lower the age.

A

Annie I just had my smear test done and like you im worrying arghh everytime I see tbe postman but then I thinking surely we are better knowing if something is wrong and it can be dealt with lol thats what im telling myself where I live its a two week wait and to be honest annie if there was something surely you would hear sooner xx

Have you got symptoms of Cervical Cancer?
    If you have I would be able to understand your concerns but if these are just standard routine smears I would say don't worry, the reason there is the 3 year gap is because they know that that is the right time scale to show pre cancerous cells.
    These are what they are looking for so they can blast them if(which I am sure they wont) find.

I wish I could stop concentrating on the bad stuff but I guess I that's just all party of the anxiety cycle :(. I have been worried about it for over a year. I thought my smear was due last year but when the letter didn't come I thought great, phew it's not until next year. Then around christmas I started to think about it, you know, oh great I've got my smear next year. Then a couple of months ago I started dreading the post as I new it was coming. It's no wonder I'm in such a state. The thing is up until a couple of months ago cc isn't something that I've had anxiety about. Now I've had the test it's all I can think about :-/

Thanks everyone for reading this.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post
    Annie I just had my smear test done and like you im worrying arghh everytime I see tbe postman but then I thinking surely we are better knowing if something is wrong and it can be dealt with lol thats what im telling myself where I live its a two week wait and to be honest annie if there was something surely you would hear sooner xx
    It's awful isn't it :(. It's the waiting that's causing my anxiety to go off the charts. Like I said in above post, cc isn't something that I've gone off the rails with. I have only starting thinking the worst after I had the test! I was exactly the same 3 years ago. I'm really struggling at the moment. Have little moments when I think come on get a grip and feel ok for about 20 mins or so then wham, I get the rush of anxiety. Hope your hanging in there

Annie thankyou so much im trying not think about it argghhh I think I will ask my mum to open the letter when it arrives hope your okay aswell love arghhh anxiety xx

Thread Information