Thread: Silly Question!?

Silly Question!?

Hi Guys, Im going to ask for the doctor for some diaz tomorrow, Im just appraoching week 5 on citalopram and the side effects have been horrid, my anxiety has been THROUGH THE ROOF and although I would now say its moderate instead of severe, I need a break and having some diaz to hand will help my fear of the anxiety.

But I had some 2ml in the first week as the dr said I may need them and before I knew that the cit caused anxiety I thought it was the diazepam not agreeing with me and making me more anxious, I think whats happening is my anxiety is telling me that the diaz wont work.

Looking back I think the the 2ml just took the edge of the severe anxiety I was feeling in the first week of cit, and I prob wasnt taking enough, but CAN diaz CAUSE more anxiety? Or will it help me stay calm when my anxiety is moderate?

Re: Silly Question!?

It's not a silly question at all, I've question the efficacy of Diazepam too. Most people (90%+) will experience a feelings of ease and relaxation after taking Diazepam - usually taking between 15 and 60 minutes to take affect and lasting for 6 hours or more. 2mg is the lowest therapeutic dose, but in severe anxiety that wouldn't do much, 5mg would be much more effective. Some people have a rebound increase in anxiety when the affects wear off, but this is not common, more often people experience a down turn in mood - depressive type symptoms for a day or two after taking Diazepam.
    Diazepam should not cause you more anxiety and is usually excellent when you're starting Citalopram. After 5 weeks of continuous anxiety I would suggest trying the Diazepam for the next 2-3 days, just for some respite - it maybe just what you need and remind your body what it's supposed to be feeling
    Have you tried Propanolol? This can be take with Citalopram and Diazepam for the physical symptoms of anxiety and has helped me enormously.
    Best Wishes
    Sam

Thanks Sam, to be honest the physical symptoms of anxiety dont bother me its just those damn mental ones that drive me crazy!

and I dont mind feeling a little low, not if it means freedom from the tension, terror and dread that severe anxiety brings.

Yes, I thnk the problem in the beginning was that I really wasnt having enough to help.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on.

Caroline x

ok, I took a 2mg yesterdat evening when my anxiety was bothering me, I was very scared of taking it and my anxiety was rockting when I was taking it, I felt spaced out and heavy but the anxiety didnt go away, Im not sure if it even took the edge off,

Do you think the 2mg wasnt enough?

Ive taken another 2mg this morning as my anxiety was being nasty, at 9.30 so Ill see how it does this morning, maybe next time I should split 1 tablet and take 3mg?

Thread Information