Thread: cbt4 panic = too harsh

cbt4 panic = too harsh

i have an admision to make . i have been to hard on cbt .
    i have sufferdpanic attacks and depression for 22 years
    i have tried it all counceling cbt medication ect ect
    the i saw the thread on here about cbt4panic .
    well i posted in my oppinion a honnest remark about my experience of cbt
    that i would have found it beneficial if i was newly diagnosed with panic or panic dissorder 6- 12 months ago and that in my oppinion affter 22 years all the hard to break rituals are set in stone .

mr robin hall sent me an email saying thank you for your honesty ect.ect
    and to please try the program set on here.
    now this is not an advert and this is not staged i took him up on his offer .
    and i give full permission for him to publish my emails as proof.
    this is set on 7 workbooks as well as mp3 and video .
    by the time i had read workbook 1 i was all ready changing the way i saw panic how i felt about the anxiaty . i email'd robin hall told him how different it was to beable to read and understand the process of how it all works .that it made me feel like i could have done anything and now the struggle was not to go out and doit. but to pace myself and continue reading .i have done as the programe tells you to though and continued to read parts 1,2 untill you understand the , digest them so you can call info up at a moment notice . i hope this info helps someone. not all cbt is bad
    i no you dont know me . please trust me nhs cbt is nothing you must try this .it will open your eyes in the first leason

Re: cbt4 panic = too harsh

thanks for posting this. I sound similar to you and I know that on some level I don't want to get 'cured' because I've been depressed for so long that it's part of who I am and one of my identifiers. I don't know if I can be happy or who I would be if i was. I've had some meds that made me feel better for a while and the loss of the depressed feelings totally freaked me out and brought on such extreme anxiety that it made me stop the meds. total madness. I will look into your suggestion.

Is it available in the UK? I just looked on the website and got stuck at the shipping section - just giving me US. ?
    Last edited by littleredhen; 24-03-12 at 05:39.

Hi Adrian
    That's great news that CBT4PANIC has helped change your opinion of CBT

Keep reading books 1 and 2 for a while and complete all the worksheets - very important. When you have had anxiety for so long the habits become very ingrained so keep in mind that it WILL take time to change these old ways of thinking and behaviour which have been keeping you stuck in cycles of anxiety.

and keep us all posted with your progress.

Littleredhen - you say you have been 'depressed' for so long - do you mean as a result of having Panic Disorder? CBT4PANIC mostly deal with panic disorder and Agoraphobia - although it will help with anxiety in general.

If anyone wants more info about the programme just click on the link below
    Thanks
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by robinhall View Post
    Littleredhen - you say you have been 'depressed' for so long - do you mean as a result of having Panic Disorder? CBT4PANIC mostly deal with panic disorder and Agoraphobia - although it will help with anxiety in general.
    Robin - to be honest, I don't know anymore. I thought it was depression all these years, but nothing seems to have helped me and since I found this forum i am finding myself identifying more and more with experiences told here and symptoms. I have definitely had - what I now recognise as - panic episodes, but I didn't know that's what it was. I really thought I was really ill.
    Now I'm wondering if I was suffering panic and anxiety which, left untreated and unaddressed, has led to the depression and now i'm stuck in the cycle.

Hi
    Yes - very often people go to their GPs and tell them they are 'depressed' but actually the depression has arisen from prolonged anxiety or sometimes panic attacks. This is why a professional assessment is very helpful

With regards CBT4PANIC - It certainly can't do any harm to learn more about the anxiety part of things - you can also use some of the skills used to deal with anxiety for feelings of depression. Also the mindfulness book which is part of the programme can be incredibly helpful when it comes to depression.

Why not give it a try - it's free for 30 days so you don't have anything to lose and if it gives you a sense that CBT is a good direction to go in then you may be inspired to try CBT for depression specifically either directly from a therapist or from books - the 'overcoming' series is very good.

I hope this helps - if you give the programme a try please let me know if any of it helps.
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

I've only just found this forum but i suffer from depression and i'm looking around at ways to help with it so i want to thank you for your posts

Thread Information