Thread: Pulled stomach muscle or hernia - help?

Pulled stomach muscle or hernia - help?

Can anyone help me as I am panicking again. Is is possible to have caused a hernia in my upper abdomen due to over exercising my stomach muscles in pilates??

Two weeks ago I went to pilates and did a lot of sit ups and stomach exercises, the following day I had such pain in my upper abdomen and around my lower ribs. It was really tender. Could I have pulled or damaged my stomach muscles or caused a hernia? I can't feel any protrusions or lumps but can't believe it can still be tender after 2 weeks, although I am still carrying on the usual housework, gardnening etc!!

I have been going to pilates since Easter and have had problems with internal pain under my right rib since Easter. Have been for scan on Gall Bladder etc. and Doc says it's irritable bowel. At that time he also checked for hernia and said that it wasn't that. This internal pain has now settled down (am taking Mebevernie) but I now have this more recent and different pain closer to the surface and near the centre of my abdomen and ribs.

I am going on holiday on Sunday and really want to go without worrying about my health!!

If there is anybody who can explain the symptoms of hernia/pulled muscles and the difference, that would be great.

Re: Pulled stomach muscle or hernia - help?

A pulled muscle can actually hurt for a few weeks if you've torn it a bit. And in pilates this is pretty easy! I think it's more likely that you have torn a muscle rather than developed a hernia. If it's tender and achy as opposed to feeling like it's pulling and nausiating then I would suggest it's a pulled muscle. If it really is bothering you check in with your doctor for some reassurance, but I've strained my stomach muscles a few times with yoga and pilates so it's not uncommon! You may find that if it's not getting better that it is because you are continuing to do the pilates or using the muscle in other ways so it keeps getting used without time to heal. You could even ask your pilates instructor for some advice, they tend to have a general knowledge of muscle injuries caused by those kind of exercises

Re: Pulled stomach muscle or hernia - help?

Thanks for your reply. I have been on holiday so apologies for the delay. I am going to the Doctor on Friday so will get it checked as it does seem to be taking a long time to heal - probably doesn't help carrying on with housework etc!

Kind regards.

Thread Information