Thread: Nostril/sinus infection and antibiotics

Nostril/sinus infection and antibiotics

Today after doing a sinus rinse, I had some orange fluid running from my nose, it started about an hour after the rinse. It was like orange water but some mucus with blood in it. The rinse itself had been clear, and they had yesterday, I do it twice a day.

I had swine flu 2 weeks ago and a heavy cold with it, which had started to finally clear, but I do have sinus issues when I get a cold. I rung GP for his advice today and he said that he wasnt' sure why I was having this orange from my nose, he said as I had no fever or green snot he didn't think it could be sinusitis so he thinks it possibly is a nostril infection, maybe the sinus rinses have caused a bleed, could this happen? it is only salted solution that is flushed up there? does it sound more likely than sinusitis? my face doesn't hurt and ive no green at all from my nose and ive not had a fever in about 10 days.

The GP said anyway he would like to treat it just incase, so I am on 500mg amoxicillin (antibiotic) for a week. I am concerned because I have had amoxicillin 500mg 4 times this year, each time for nostril/throat infections. Last time was 5 months ago so the GP told me not to worry. Will I be ok? I won't become very run down taking them again? I am a student nurse and I start in the acute hospital in 2 weeks, this is the last thing I need to be worrying that I will be run down My summer holidays have been awful, I have had swine flu, the children have just got over it and now my husband has it We haven't really left the house.

Re: Nostril/sinus infection and antibiotics

Hi Aimee- I am not sure because of the swine flu piece but I do know that you should not do the rinse 2x a day unless you are sick. Once a day when you are well is enough, and you may even need to cut back to every other day. The solution tends to dry my nostrils and sinuses out when I use too much and will make my nose bleed. It does not take much blood mixed in your mucus to make it seem orange.
    Also, you have been on lots of antibiotics. I hate it when Drs prescribe them "just in case". All that does is build immunity to them then when you need them they won't work. Antibiotics kill ALL bacteria in your body, even the good bacteria (this is why yeast infections are common with them). I would suggest taking liquid Acodopholis (sp?) for a while to replinish the good bacteria. Liquid is stronger but you can get pills if you can't handle the flavor (taste like sour yogurt). Lots of people say eat yogurt, but not all yogurt has live probiotic cultures, so that may not be enough.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    Stressed32

Re: Nostril/sinus infection and antibiotics

Thanks for your reply.

Ive taken 3 doses now so shall carry on and i have some probiotic pills but do i have to wait till finished antibiotics?

So you think rinsing twice a day could have caused it?

Today though my left nostril is do congested yet ive no grern from my nose or fever, worrying its a nasty sinus infection:(

Thread Information