Thread: choking feeling

choking feeling

hi everyone. i hope someone can relate to what im going through i have had panic and anxiety attacks for years had loads of blood test and ecgs they came bk ok i had 24hr monitor on they found an abnormal heart beat some thng called a bigeminy. i get very dizzy and of balance bad chest pain and tightness. lately i have started feeling a lump and my throat and feeling of being strangled im very scared by this does any body else have these symptoms plz let me no asap thnx. this is happening alot through out the day and im getting numbness in face and arm left side and burning pain through out body

Re: choking feeling

thnx for relpy. i get dry mouth all day today i feel like i being choked like there a hand round my throat cant breath proply so p****d of

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Gads, yes. In my day to day anxiety I don't get this, but when I have full panic attacks - especially those triggered by the smell of certain foods or drinks (which for some reason are random) - I end up with a toad in my throat who refuses to move.

The only way I have found to lessen this a bit is to try and get as comfortable as possible (if you can, don't pace but sit down or lean against the wall) and do breathing exercises through the nose. I find that - especially the inhaling through the nose - is very helpful for this.

Hope this helps you, too.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

- The Litany Against Fear, from Dune

Hello

i think the lump in the throat feeling is globus hystericus - the term given to the sensation of a lump in the throat causing difficulty with swallowing when there is no physical cause.

i have tried and tried to get a doctor to actually diagnose this- as i also have the swallowing problem- but find that most GPs just do not understand/believe me, even though they have ruled out thyroid problems and other throat issues.

I feel really frustrated and upset cos its something i struggle with all the time, especially when i'm eating. As soon as you start thinkin about it, i think it gets worse. You have to try really hard not to think about it - it's a real case of mind over matter.

I really empathise with you all

Thread Information