Thread: Haven't been on NMP in weeks - much better

Haven't been on NMP in weeks - much better

I've been on 50mg Sertraline for a year now and when I look back to starting it I see a different person. When I started , I had been on Citalopram for several years and felt that it had stopped working. After a really difficult two years when I tried several different ADs I finally tried Sertraline.

I don't know how I managed to keep going to work, when all I could think about was my anxiety, which manifested itself in physical symptoms. I used to count the minutes until I could come home and get into bed, and even then I still felt awful.
    This forum was my support. I followed several posters regularly (Thank you especially to Terry and Carnation and the two people whose PMs kept me going) and focused on threads that related only to similar problems.

I knew I was beginning to feel better when I didn't feel the need to check in with NMP every day. I still have symptoms such as a tight throat, but am determined to deal with my anxiety without increasing my dose of Sertraline.

What has helped?

NMP
    - Knowing that I am not alone in this

Activity
    - forcing myself to do things (even if it's eating some toast or having a bath) however bad I feel

Talking
    - a few close friends have been brilliant and being honest about how I feel has also helped (but also being conscious of the fact that there's a limit to what people can listen to)

Reading
    - At Last A Life and Paul David's website (Anxiety No More) and accepting that his advice works
    - Claire Weekes books (old fashioned but the same message)

Observing
    - focusing on symptoms, what they really feel like, and what is happening to my body, which makes them seem a lot less scary

Patience
    - To begin with all I wanted to know was 'How long until I feel better?' That does not help at all. It really is true that if you get on with your life there will come a day when for a few minutes you will not think about your anxiety

CBT
    - I had 8 sessions with a lovely counsellor. To be honest it didn't teach me
    anything I hadn't already learned online, but it was reassuring

Online mindfulness meditations
    - Headspace is good and does some free. I'm still not very good at them but it helps me to stop and think about what is going on around me. There are loads on Youtube and it took a while to find some which didn't have a voice that really irritated me
    I discovered podcasts by The Anxiety Guru, some of which were really interesting. He's quite full on and takes a bit of getting used to but makes a lot of sense

Exercise
    - It may be the last thing you feel like doing but even a walk helps

I am sure there are other things that I've missed!
    These days I can tell when I need to go back to some of these strategies, especially the mindfulness meditations.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps x

Re: Haven't been on NMP in weeks - much better

Hi 23fish. Glad your doing better. I too suffer from anxiety/panic. Paul David's book at last a life helped me too. I also have his new book at last a life and beyond. There is also a fantastic blog by a guy called Hugo Rock. His blog is called calmandcourageous it's very like Paul David's book with lots of great tips to overcome anxiety .He suffered anxiety for years until he couldn't take it any more. He changed his life without medication. Have a look at it will help your continued success

Thanks Shirl. Coincidentally I found his blog when I was reading other posts this evening. It's on my bookmarks to read later x

I've noticed your absence and it's a good thing! keep up the good work!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

So pleased for you 23fish. x
    The Forum is always there for you as a safety net or just to catch up, but it does not have to be you crutch. You also helped me tremendously. That's what we do. Help each other.

Really good to hear that you are feeling so much better. It's awful when you are just struggling through the day with no respite at all from physical symptoms and it must be such a relief and so liberating to have found some peace from it all.

Thank you all for your replies - I feel like I've met up with lovely old friends. I think of you all often, especially Fishmanpa at the moment. You are all so good at helping others, even when things are difficult in your own lives. Hope you are all doing OK xx

Well done for putting in the work!!
    Have you tried Insight Timer yet? It's a meditation app - tons of other voices to try in there.

Thanks Lior. I haven't heard of it. I'll give it a go x

Thread Information